This is a draft document
Links to Previous Minutes
MINUTES OF MEETING OF HARDINGTON MANDEVILLE PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON TUESDAY 19th SEPTEMBER 2017 IN THE VILLAGE HALL

Members are reminded that the Council has a general duty to consider the following matters in the exercise of any of its functions - Equal Opportunities (race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status & any disability); Crime & Disorder, Health & Safety and Human Rights.
Nancy Chapman, Parish Clerk

PRESENT

Robin Carpenter (Chairman), Malcolm White, Andy Webb, Clare Middleton, Ernest Kong, Paul Vallis, Bill Turner and Mark Keating (County Councillor).

IN ATTENDANCE

Nancy Chapman (Parish Clerk) and 8 members of the public.

Before the meeting commenced there was an opportunity for the public to speak:

Daphne Creed read a statement regarding recent events concerning the Village Hall Committee, summarized below:

Daphne gave a summary of the recent work that has been carried out including:

The hall is in now in a much better state than it has been for years.

Daphne feels the VHC has been subject to a great deal of criticism recently – certain people saying that the Village Hall has been badly managed. All members are volunteers and go way beyond just turning up at a meeting once a month, saving a lot of money on expenses, such as cleaning. Daphne would like to see other villagers working with the committee and not against them. Peter has been bombarded with numerous e-mails and he has spent hours investigating the various questions and getting advice from the Community Council for Somerset, the Insurance Company and other legal bodies. Daphne feels that this bullying must stop before the village is divided and hopes the PC will all stand by their vote of confidence given at June’s meeting.

Daphne then gave details of some upcoming events:

Karen Dodge spoke regarding all the hard work herself and the VHC put into maintaining the Village Hall, resulting in considerable cost savings. She then described her dismay at the recent barrage of abuse they feel they have received.

The Chairman reported that last week, Cathy Bakewell had fallen and broken her leg, having only just recovered from another operation. It was agreed the Clerk would send a card from the Parish Council wishing her a speedy recovery.

  1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
    Apologies were received from Cathy Bakewell (District Councillor).
  2. MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 15th AUGUST 2017 (Already Circulated)
    A minor amendment was made to the minutes for August before they were approved and signed by the Chairman as correct records of the meeting.
    Paul Vallis said that he was unhappy at how he had been spoken to by another Councillor at the August meeting and said he had felt ready to resign following this. Following discussion, the PC agreed to record an apology to Paul if offence was taken and gave reassurance that none was intended.
  3. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST.
    There were no declarations of interest.
  4. MATTERS OF REPORT ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MINUTES.
    None.
  5. COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS' REPORTS (BY INVITATION)
    Mark Keating's and Gina Seaton's reports had been previously circulated.
  6. PLANNING AND PLANNING APPLICATIONS
    1. The following application was received:
      1. App no:17/003356/S73 and 17/03465/S19 Application to vary planning condition 2 (approved plans) of approval 17/00196/FUL to substitute approved plans with revised plans. Location: White Vine Farm, Common Lane, North Perrott. Applicants: Mr Robert Appleby. There were no objections.
      2. App no:17/03499/FUL The erection of a single story rear extension, dormer, and alterations to roof and balcony. Location: Highlands, High Street, Hardington Mandeville. Applicants: Mr and Mrs Richard Beatson. There were no objections.
    2. There were no new planning applications received after publication of the agenda.
    3. The following results of previous applications were received:
      1. App no:17/02836/FUL Removal of existing car port and the erection of a replacement double garage, roof conversion and the erection of a two-storey side extension to dwellinghouse. Location: Oakenlea, West Coker Hill. Applicants: Mr & Mrs A King. Approved with conditions.
    4. There were no other results of previous applications received after publication of this agenda.
    5. The Chairman reported that he had spoken to a representative of Shepperton Homes and they had started work relocating the wildlife with the intention of starting site clearance in the near future. They have decided they will not be routing site traffic through the farm as originally discussed, as they say it is not feasible due to an area of soft land and the need to remove hedges. They will therefore be using Moor Lane and have agreed to send a copy of their traffic management plan to the Clerk once it has been drawn up.
  7. HIGHWAYS
    1. Neil reported that several of the minor issues of his circulated report were in process of being rectified.
    2. Neil has drafted an application for SSDC funding for the parking bay. He has been informed that the Beaverbrook Foundation is no longer an option as their funds are already committed. Neil is currently looking into the Aviva Community Fund as an option.
    3. On the subject of the missing finger of the signpost at the junction of Barry Lane and Penn Lane, SCC Highways have informed Neil that the synthetic fingers are no longer available. Neil has received a guide price of £300 for a cast iron finger. Mark Keating gave Neil contact details for Bridport Foundry, who may be cheaper.
    4. Neil reported that Gary Warren of SCC has acknowledged that the replacement HGV sign at the Hill End crossroads, intended to prevent large vehicles from driving up West Coker Hill Lane, has been positioned incorrectly, but no action to correct this has been taken yet.
  8. PARISH PLAN
    1. The Chairman agreed to purchase a thank you gift for Brian Dodd for his many years of hard work on the Hardington website.
    2. There were no other issues.
  9. COMMUNITY FIELD
    1. A parishioner had contacted the PC to state they felt quite strongly that a “No camping” sign should be displayed at the Community Field, to prevent any problems in the future. The Clerk stated that there were suitable “No camping” signs available on Amazon for £11. While not all Councillors were in favour of displaying further prohibition signs at the Community Field, the majority agreed that one further sign would be acceptable. A resolution was passed for the Clerk to purchase one “No camping” sign for display at the Community Field.
    2. The Chairman reported that following the recent mowing there was still an excessive amount of dead grass on the surface. He felt this would now only be remedied by the grass being collected. The Clerk reported that having received the mowing dates from SSDC, while the cuts were fortnightly for most of the season, there was a 34 day gap following the July cut and a 25 day gap following the August cut. It was agreed the Clerk would contact SSDC to request that they restore the field to a tidier state at no further cost to the Parish Council.
  10. RISK MANAGEMENT
    1. It was thought that the draft Street Fayre Constitution that had been sent to the PC was not the latest version. As the Street Fayre Committee are now a sub-committee of the PC it was decided the PC should have a representative who is willing to liaise between the two. Claire Middleton agreed to take on the role of PC representative on the street fayre committee.
    2. The PC have received a letter from the VHC requesting that they would like to take over the arranging of the VHC insurance (which includes the Village Hall buildings and contents insurance). The PC would make an annual donation to the VHC to cover the cost of this. The PC passed a resolution to approve this.
  11. FINANCE
    1. The Clerk's hours for August (19 hours) were approved.
    2. A resolution was passed to approve payment of the following invoices:
      • Grant Thornton – 2017 Audit Fee (£200.00+VAT £40.00) £240.00
      • SSDC Ranger Scheme Qtr 2 (£382.50+VAT £76.50) £459.00
  12. FOOTPATHS
    1. There were no new issues.
  13. PARISH RANGER SCHEME
    1. Following concerns raised recently that the Ranger Scheme is not providing value-for-money, Nick Allen has been in contact to help resolve any issues the PC may have. Good feedback had been received following the new ranger’s recent visits to the Parish. While some Councillors would like to see more local contractors employed to do the work it was agreed to continue with the Ranger Scheme for the time-being.
    2. The following tasks had been carried out on 11/09/2017:
      • Clear all weeds/detritus around church wall.
      • Strim around village hall and blind corner hedge side.
      • Strim centre bank and walled grass bank by BT box.
      • Strim Opp church wall and cut back Elder bush and expose drains.
      • Strim Moor Lane shop footpath and clear ditch.
      • Strim around signs and grit bins and drain clearance around village
      • Strim out drains and signs at Penn Hill + footpath entrance cut hedging back from signs
      • Weed sprayed around village and church wall.
    3. The following tasks are on the Ranger’s list:
      • Strim the footpath between Moor Lane and the Community Field (North Lane)
      • Trim back the overhanging tree around the fingerpost sign at the top of Primrose Hill (font lane end).
      • Wood-Stain the Village Hall Garage Doors
      • Repaint the Fingerpost signs
  14. CORRESPONDENCE
    1. Electoral review of South Somerset: Warding arrangements. Views on this were welcomed from individuals and organisations during the 10 week consultation process closing on 30th October 2017.
    2. Area South Annual Town and Parish Workshop. 28th September 2017.
  15. VILLAGE HALL COMMITTEE UPDATE
    Paul Vallis reported that a list of jobs that require doing and their priority is currently being drawn up.
    The Chairman thanked the VHC and its volunteers for all their hard work carried out for the benefit of the Village. The Parish Council is very appreciative of their work.
  16. MATTERS OF REPORT & ITEMS FOR NEXT MEETING
    1. Chairman: The Chairman reported that the annual Village Fireworks night was being planned for Friday 3rd November. A resolution was passed approving use of the Community Field as a venue for this event.
    2. Councillors: Andy Webb announced that due to personal reasons he would be handing in his notice of resignation. The Chairman thanked Andy for all his time and work over the last 3 years.
    3. Clerk: Nothing to report.
  17. DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING & CLOSURE
    The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 17th October 2017 in the Village Hall at 7.30pm. The meeting closed at 8.55pm.
 

After the meeting there was an opportunity for the public to speak:

A parishioner said they felt that if the annual allowance for maintenance of the Community Field is £2000, the annual allowance for the Village Hall should therefore be more than £3000. The Chairman replied that this could be reviewed at the next budget meeting.

 

Links to Previous Minutes

2021
January February March April May June July August September October
2020
January February March May June July August September October
November
2019
January February March April May June July August September October
November
2018
January February March April May June July August September October November
2017
January February March April May June July August September October November
2016
January February March April May June July August September October November
2015
January February March April May June July August September October November
2014
January February March April May June July August September October November December
2013
January February March April May June July August September October November December
2012
January February March April May June July August September October October-(extra) November
2011
January February March April May June July August September October November