Links to Previous Minutes
MINUTES OF MEETING OF HARDINGTON MANDEVILLE PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON TUESDAY 16th MAY 2017 IN THE VILLAGE HALL

Members are reminded that the Council has a general duty to consider the following matters in the exercise of any of its functions - Equal Opportunities (race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status & any disability); Crime & Disorder, Health & Safety and Human Rights.
Nancy Chapman, Parish Clerk

PRESENT

Robin Carpenter (Chairman), Clare Middleton, Ernest Kong, Malcolm White, Paul Vallis, Gina Seaton (District Councillor) and Mark Keating (County Councillor).

IN ATTENDANCE

Nancy Chapman (Parish Clerk) and 4 member of the public.

The Chairman welcomed and congratulated Mark Keating in his new role as County Councillor.

Before the meeting commenced there was an opportunity for the public to speak:
A parishioner asked if there were any further updates on the Moor End Nursery development. The Chairman replied that he had not heard of any but was quite happy to contact Shepperton Homes to ask them.

  1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
    Apologies were received from Bill Turner, Andy Webb, Neil Dyer and Cathy Bakewell (District Councillor).
  2. ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN AND SIGNING OF DECLARATION OF ACCEPTANCE OF OFFICE
    Robin Carpenter was elected as Chairman and signed the declaration of acceptance of office.
  3. ELECTION OF OFFICERS
    1. Andy Webb was elected as Vice Chairman.
    2. Paul Vallis agreed to continue as Village Hall Representative.
    3. Nancy Chapman agreed to continue as Messenger Reporter.
    4. Neil Dyer agreed to continue as Highways Representative.
    5. Robin Carpenter agreed to continue as Footpaths Representative.
    6. Ernest Kong agreed to continue as Parish Environment Officer.
  4. MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 18th APRIL 2017 (Already Circulated)
    The minutes for April were approved and signed by the Chairman as correct records of the meeting.
  5. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST.
    There were no declarations of interest.
  6. MATTERS OF REPORT ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MINUTES.
    The Chairman reported that the fibre broadband update should now be available to residents of Hardington Moor.
  7. COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS' REPORTS (BY INVITATION)
    Mark Keating thanked the Parish Council for welcoming him in his new role as County Councillor. There was not much news to report at present, as the next full council meeting takes place on the 24th May. Mark outlined his intentions for sharing his time between the 12 parishes he covers:
    • Mark intends to attend the Hardington PC meeting at least every other month (he will stay for at least half an hour and so would be grateful for any issues that require his input to be discussed towards the beginning of the meeting).
    • Mark’s monthly written report will include details of county-wide issues, for circulation prior to the meeting.
    • While at the meeting, unless otherwise requested, Mark will only report on more local issues that are relevant to the Parish.
    • The Small Improvement Scheme (SIS) funding will once again be available from July (this mainly provides funding for road safety improvements).
    • Mark is happy to walk around the village to view specific concerns if required.
    • Mark will be contactable via his “baytree” email or his office or mobile telephone number.
    • Mark will be pleased to attend any local village events such as carnivals, pantomimes, street fayres etc. so please keep him informed of these.
    The Chairman asked Mark if he thought funding would be available from the SIS for the proposed disabled parking bay behind the church, as Mike Fear has suggested this might be an option. Mark’s view was that the SIS was for improving road safety and that the parking bay would probably have to be funded by the Parish Council.

    Gina Seaton read out her previously circulated report.

    The PC discussed the letter from SSDC regarding the Playing Pitch Strategy Consultation. Ernest Kong stated that he felt the Community Field pitch would benefit from being converted to an artificial pitch. The rest of the PC felt that this would be too expensive to justify.

    The Chairman summarised Cathy Bakewell’s previously circulated report.
  8. PLANNING AND PLANNING APPLICATIONS
    1. The following application was received:
      App no:17/02008/FUL Alterations and the erection of a single storey side extension to dwellinghouse. Location: Hill End Cottage, Hill End. Applicant: Mr Karl Newman. There were no objections or comments.
    2. There were no planning applications received after publication of this agenda.
    3. There were no results of previous applications received after publication of this agenda.
    4. A Councillor stated their disappointment that a large agricultural barn had been erected at Pen Hill Farm, Penn Lane, and that the building was so high that it could be seen on the skyline from various places in the village including Primrose Hill. While little could be done now that the application has been approved, the Councillor questioned why the Parish Council had not been consulted on this application, which lies right on the parish border. In the past, some other applications that have bordered the Parish have been sent to the Parish Council for comment. It was agreed the Clerk would write to SSDC developmental Control asking them to clarify their policy regarding parish border applications and also requesting that in future the PC can be informed of these.
    5. There were no other planning issues.
  9. HIGHWAYS
    1. Neil’s monthly report had been previously circulated.
    2. The proposed disabled parking bay behind the Church was discussed in section 7 above.
    3. There were no other issues.
  10. PARISH PLAN
    1. Andy Webb had spoken to Brian Dodd regarding the website requirements, but in his absence, there were no further updates. Tim Watkins has kindly volunteered to take on the role of webmaster if required. Tim agreed to liaise with Andy and Brian on the subject.
    2. There were no other issues.
  11. COMMUNITY FIELD
    1. The subject of keeping dogs on leads at the Community field was discussed along with the possibility of introducing a Public Space Protection Order (PSPO). Further information regarding the process of implementing PSPOs had been received including proposed signs. It was viewed that even if a PSPO was introduced, it would be difficult to enforce. A resolution was passed to take no further action at this time and to continue to monitor the situation.
    2. There were no other issues.
  12. RISK MANAGEMENT
    1. There were no issues.
  13. FINANCE
    1. The Chairman read out the Internal Audit report, completed by Nick Lunt. Nick made several comments relating to the current insurance arrangements and the Clerk agreed to forward these to Came & Company for clarification.
    2. A resolution was passed to approve the Governance Statement. This was then signed by the Chairman and Clerk.
    3. A resolution was passed to approve the Accounting Statements for the year ended 31st March 2017. This was then signed by the Chairman.
    4. The Clerk’s hours for April (22 hours) were approved.
    5. A resolution was passed to approve payment of £442.99 to Came & Company for the Parish Council Insurance due 1st June 2017 (Year 3 of the 3-year LTA).
  14. FOOTPATHS
    1. The Chairman agreed to contact Les Braunton to determine if SCC would be willing to supply materials to fix the stile on Y10/6 (at the border between Nick Lunt's land and Liz Raymont’s land).
    2. There were no other issues.
  15. PARISH RANGER SCHEME
    1. The Chairman read out the progress update for the last 3 visits received from Nick Allen.
    2. The following tasks were added to the Ranger’s list:
      • Strim the Path between Moor Lane and the Village Shop
      • Dig out the ditch between Moor Lane and the Village Shop
      • Strim the bridleway that runs alongside the Community Field towards Moor Lane.
      • Paint the Village Road Signs
      The Clerk will ask the Ranger to contact Robin Carpenter to receive further instructions regarding the painting task.
  16. CORRESPONDENCE
    1. Notice for the next 2 Community Forum meetings has been received: Monday 3rd July 2017 at 9.30am -12.00 and Monday 6th November 2017 at 9.30am -12.00 (Both to be held in The Council Offices, Main Committee Room, Brympton Way, Yeovil).
    2. The Chairman read an email from Karen Clotworthy asking that if anyone attending the Parish Council meeting had any spare time on the 24th June, then please would they be kind enough to help out with the Street Fayre.
  17. MATTERS OF REPORT & ITEMS FOR NEXT MEETING
    1. Chairman: Nothing to report.
    2. Councillors: Nothing to report.
    3. Clerk: Nothing to report.
  18. DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING & CLOSURE
    The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 20th June 2017 in the Village Hall at 7.30pm. The meeting closed at 8.55pm.
 

Peter Bysouth read out the following statement reporting on the previous evenings events at the VHC AGM:

“I think the Village Hall Committee have done a reasonable job in the last few years. Working closely with the Parish Council we have updated the electrics; installed PV Solar Panels; installed new heating and made the Hall much more attractive to users. There is much to do and, as I reported at the Annual Assembly, we have set up a Business Plan Committee to agree our priorities for the next 5 years. Things are not perfect, and there are areas where we could improve and do better.

Despite this the Village Hall Committee was subject to a barrage of criticism and sometimes outrageous accusations from members of the Hardington Players group at our AGM last night. I found this very sad, and in my 28 years in the village I have never experienced anything like it. The Village Hall Committee are volunteers who work hard to provide what we hope is an excellent resource for the village. People may disagree with us and question our priorities, but at all times we try to consult with people and communicate with them as best we can. We are very aware of our duties as Trustees, and of the requirement to manage the Hall in line with the 1968 Trust Deed that set us up.

The reason I am making this statement is that I am concerned that all sorts of rumours and statements may start circulating about us round the village. I would like to ask publically and openly that if anyone is concerned or wants to know more, please contact me or John Gilmore or Daphne Creed.”

 

Links to Previous Minutes

2022
January February March April May June July
2021
January February March April May June July August September October
November
2020
January February March May June July August September October
November
2019
January February March April May June July August September October
November
2018
January February March April May June July August September October November
2017
January February March April May June July August September October November
2016
January February March April May June July August September October November
2015
January February March April May June July August September October November
2014
January February March April May June July August September October November December
2013
January February March April May June July August September October November December
2012
January February March April May June July August September October October-(extra) November
2011
January February March April May June July August September October November