This is a draft document
Links to Previous Minutes

MINUTES OF MEETING OF HARDINGTON MANDEVILLE PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON TUESDAY 17th MAY 2016
IN THE VILLAGE HALL

Members are reminded that the Council has a general duty to consider the following matters in the exercise of any of its functions - Equal Opportunities (race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status & any disability); Crime & Disorder, Health & Safety and Human Rights.
Nancy Chapman, Parish Clerk

PRESENT

Robin Carpenter (Chairman), Andy Webb, Clare Middleton, Malcolm White, Ernest Kong, Bill Turner, Paul Vallis, Cathy Bakewell (District Councillor) and Gina Seaton (District Councillor).

IN ATTENDANCE

Nancy Chapman (Parish Clerk) and 7 members of the public.

Before the meeting commenced there was an opportunity for the public to speak.

A parishioner asked if there was anything the Parish Council could do to encourage his next-door-neighbour to address the problem of excessive water running from his driveway into the road.

The parishioner also complained that several dog faeces had been deposited on the verge outside his house and not removed. The Chairman suggested the parishioner displays a dog-fouling sticker in the area and said this could be collected from the village shop.

John Gilmore spoke about his previously circulated email relating to the proposed Village Hall heating system. Three quotes had been obtained and the VHC was recommending that the cheapest, West Country Heating, should be selected. Not only were they cheapest, but their system came with a 25-year guarantee. Their quote included a 3 for 2 Spring offer, only valid until the end of the month and it was therefore important for the PC to make a decision at tonight's meeting. Several queries relating to the proposed system were then discussed.

Nick Lunt spoke regarding his previously circulated email relating to the structure of the PC and VHC Insurance and still had some concerns regarding this. Also, having recently attended the VHC AGM, he felt that someone from the Parish Council should be present at their meetings so that information can be fed back directly. The VHC holds meetings every 2 months, usually on a Tuesday.

  1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE .
    None.
  2. ELECTION OF CHAIRMAN AND SIGNING OF DECLARATION OF ACCEPTANCE OF OFFICE.
    Robin Carpenter was elected as Chairman and signed the declaration of acceptance of office.
  3. ELECTION OF OFFICERS.
    1. Andy Webb was elected as Vice Chairman.
    2. Bill Turner was elected as Village Hall Representative.
    3. Nancy Chapman was elected as Messenger Reporter.
    4. Neil Dyer was elected as Highways Representative.
    5. Robin Carpenter was elected as Footpaths Representative.
    6. Ernest Kong was elected as Parish Environment Officer.
  4. MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 19th APRIL 2016 (Already Circulated)
    The minutes for May were approved and signed by the Chairman as correct records of the meeting.
  5. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST.
    None.
  6. MATTERS OF REPORT ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MINUTES.
    None.
  7. DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS' REPORTS (BY INVITATION)
    Cathy Bakewell apologised for her lack of attendance recently, but she has been working hard on the new housing bill. Cathy then summarised some of the key points of the bill including the Starter Homes Programme where new buyers would be eligible for a 20% discount. Cathy also reported that a special meeting of the district executive was to be held on the 26th May to finalise the Westlands Leisure Complex proposal.
    Gina Seaton reported that the Council was looking to appoint a new Chief Executive Officer in the near future. The Community Infrastructure Levy (CIL) was also one of the main topics discussed.
  8. PLANNING AND PLANNING APPLICATIONS
    1. Planning applications received after publication of the agenda:
      1. App no: 16/01517/LBC The carrying out of internal and external alterations to include replacement windows and door and insertion of downstairs WC. Location: Corner Cottage, Bishops Lane. Applicant: Mr. Gareth Llewellyn. There were no objections.
      2. App No: 16/00719/OUT Outline planning for the demolition of existing Building and erection of detached single storey dwelling with associated access and works. Location: Land adjacent Finials, Rectory Lane, Hardington Mandeville. Applicant: Mr B White - Additional Information re Highways. There were no objections.
    2. There were no planning applications received after publication of the agenda
    3. There were no results of previous applications received after publication of the agenda.
    4. The Chairman reported that a Tree Preservation Order relating to land adjacent to Finials, Rectory Lane, had been received.
    5. Appeal decision in respect of application decision reference 14/05063/FUL Demolition of existing bungalow, erection of 14 dwellings, together with associated landscaping, access and infrastructure. Location: Moor End Nursery, Moor Lane. Applicant Mr David Matthews.The Chairman reported that a corrected notice of Appeal Decision had been issued following confusion in the number of dwellings given in the original decision. The PC have been informed the S106 agreement, relating to the development scheme of 10 dwellings with no affordable units, was now in its final stages.
  9. HIGHWAYS
    1. Neil reported that he had emailed SCC Highways enquiring about the painting of village sign posts, who had informed him that they had no budget for this. It was agreed that the Clerk would enquire if the Ranger is able to do this.
      Neil has been in touch with SCC Highways and Wessex Water regarding the drainage work planned for the High Street. They have assured him that the work will either be finished by then, or that the worksite will be cleared up, so as not to interfere with the Street Fayre.
      Neil reported that the path between the Post Office and Moor Lane was in need of maintenance and enquired as to whose responsibility this was. The Chairman agreed to follow this up with Les Braunton as it was an adopted public footpath.
  10. PARISH PLAN
    1. The Chairman reported that he had attended the recent meeting for "Connecting Somerset". In relation to this he felt the Parish Council should determine if there is a requirement in the village for the provision of Internet Access for those unable to access it at home. The Village Hall was suggested as an option, but this would involve the installation of a telephone line and ongoing costs, which may not be justified against the use. The clerk agreed to contact West Coker PC to determine the costs of provision at West Coker Village Hall and also to put a note in the Messenger asking if there is any interest. It was also noted that The Royal Oak provides free WiFi for its customers!
  11. COMMUNITY FIELD
    1. The Chairman thanked Malcolm White for weed-spraying the bike track. Malcolm also agreed to help move the gravel from the bottom of the field, closer to the bike track. This would make it easier to put the gravel in place.
    2. A request was made for the dog foul bin to be moved further away from the BBQ as it was unpleasantly close. Robin agreed to consider this.
    3. The Chairman reported that he is investigating ways to address the problem of recyclable waste, as the quantity is increasing to a level that is making it more difficult for him to manage.
  12. RISK MANAGEMENT
    1. There were no current issues.
  13. FINANCE
    1. A resolution was passed to approve the Governance Statement and Accounting Statements for the year ended 31st March 2016. These were then signed by the Chairman and Clerk.
    2. The Internal Audit has been completed and the Chairman read Nick Lunt's queries relating to the current insurance arrangements. These queries had been forwarded to Came & Company who confirmed the structure was correct. As there was still some concerns, the Clerk agreed to contact Jack Clotworthy to ask if he was able to provide any advice on the subject.
    3. The Clerk's hours for April (22.5 hours) were approved.
    4. A resolution was passed to approve payment of £424.61 to Came & Company for the Parish Council Insurance due 1st June 2016 (year 2 of the 3-year LTA).
    5. Following the presentation from Ric Pallister and Steve Joel at last month's Annual Assembly the request from SSDC for an annual contribution to Westlands Sports and Leisure Complex was discussed. While members were keen to support the venture in some way, the amount of this support remained undecided. It was agreed to revisit this subject as the project progressed. The clerk agreed to write a letter to Ric Pallister to this effect.
    6. A resolution was passed to pay the following invoices:
      • The Toy Barn Ltd Boat delivery fee (£90 + VAT £18.00): £108.00
      • SALC Affiliation Fees £150.78
    7. Following discussion it was agreed that adequate investigation into the various options for a new Village Hall heating system had been carried out and a resolution was passed to approve the quote from West Country Heating at a cost of £12,916.80 (including VAT). A cheque for the deposit of £5,301.75 made out to West Country Heating was approved.
  14. FOOTPATHS
    1. The Chairman reported that the damaged bridge between Y10/39 and Y11/20 is due to be repaired in the near future.
  15. PARISH RANGER SCHEME
    The following tasks were added to the Ranger's list of jobs:
    • Stile on Y10/11 needs repairing (access from High Street).
    • Footpath Y10/4 opposite Lyatts turning on Moor Lane requires strimming.
    • Footpath Y10/20 at Broadstone Lane requires strimming.
    • Gully on Pig Hill above grit bin requires clearing.
    • Area around Village Hall requires strimming/clearing.
    • Roadside gullies in Blackhouse Lane require clearing (to prevent excess water flowing towards the community field).
    • Village signposts require re-painting.
  16. CORRESPONDENCE
    1. Planning Training for Town and Parish Councillors. Tuesday 24th May 2016 at 6.00pm. SSDC Council Offices, Brympton Way. Clare has already signed up for this training and the Clerk agreed to add Ernest to the attendance list.
  17. MATTERS OF REPORT & ITEMS FOR NEXT MEETING
    1. Chairman. Nothing to report.
    2. Councillors: Nothing to report.
    3. Clerk: Nothing to report.
  18. DATE AND TIME OF NEST MEETING & CLOSURE
    The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 21st June 2016 at 7.30 p.m. in the Village Hall. The meeting closed at 9.00pm.

After the meeting there was an opportunity for the public to speak:

Peter Bysouth reported that he had received the amended Community Licence and this was displayed on the Village Hall notice Board. He is liaising with Ernest to get a further 7 certified copies for display at the remaining premises covered by the licence.

 

Links to Previous Minutes

2022
January February March April
2021
January February March April May June July August September October
November
2020
January February March May June July August September October
November
2019
January February March April May June July August September October
November
2018
January February March April May June July August September October November
2017
January February March April May June July August September October November
2016
January February March April May June July August September October November
2015
January February March April May June July August September October November
2014
January February March April May June July August September October November December
2013
January February March April May June July August September October November December
2012
January February March April May June July August September October October-(extra) November
2011
January February March April May June July August September October November