Links to Previous Minutes

MINUTES OF MEETING OF HARDINGTON MANDEVILLE PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON TUESDAY 21st JUNE 2016
IN THE VILLAGE HALL

Members are reminded that the Council has a general duty to consider the following matters in the exercise of any of its functions - Equal Opportunities (race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status & any disability); Crime & Disorder, Health & Safety and Human Rights.
Nancy Chapman, Parish Clerk

PRESENT

Robin Carpenter (Chairman), Andy Webb, Malcolm White, Ernest Kong, Cathy Bakewell (District Councillor) and Gina Seaton (District Councillor).

IN ATTENDANCE

Nancy Chapman (Parish Clerk) and 9 members of the public.

Before the meeting commenced there was an opportunity for the public to speak.

Nicholas Whitsun-Jones, Chair of the CPRE (Campaign to Protect Rural England) South Somerset District Group, spoke about the CPRE Yeovil Green Belt Campaign. The campaign started with an online petition and has had Western Gazette coverage. A CPRE paper 'Case for a Yeovil Green Belt', that detailed technical planning arguments for the need for and creation of a Green Belt around Yeovil, had been presented at a meeting with Ric Pallister and other SSDC representatives, but was met with a negative response. Mr Whitsun-Jones agreed to forward the paper to the Clerk. The campaign is asking parish's for their support in principle at this time.
The Chairman thanked Mr Whitsun-Jones for attending the meeting and agreed to agenda the topic for discussion at July's meeting.
Tim Watkins spoke about his planning application for a new double garage and wood/garden store and the conversion of his existing garage into a study/studio at St Mary's House. Tim supplied photos of the boundary hedge between St Mary's house and his neighbour's property. He also provided a hand-out quoting several internet references that stated metal roofs are not noisy.
A parishioner then spoke of his concerns about the same application. They objected to the application on the grounds that the proposed elevation would be visible above their boundary fence and also the metal roof would result in excessive rain noise and vehicle noise.

  1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
    Apologies were received from Paul Vallis, Clare Middleton and Bill Turner.
  2. MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 17th MAY 2016 (Already Circulated)
    The minutes for May were approved and signed by the Chairman as correct records of the meeting.
  3. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST.
    None.
  4. MATTERS OF REPORT ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MINUTES.
    None.
  5. DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS' REPORTS (BY INVITATION)
    Gina Seaton provided details for the SSDC Community Safety Officer (01935 462945) and said that if anyone had any safety issues that require assistance they should get in touch. Gina reported that the SSDC partnership arrangements had now been reviewed and approved. A planning application for a new pharmacy at Forrest Hill had been approved. A second access/exit from Tesco's Supermarket on Clarence Street has also been approved.
    Cathy Bakewell gave details of recent changes to the discretionary housing benefit (for those people that have difficulties in paying rent).
  6. PLANNING AND PLANNING APPLICATIONS
    1. a) Planning applications received: App no: 16/02339/FUL The erection of a double garage and wood/garden store and the conversion of existing garage into study/studio. Location: St Mary's House, West Coker Hill. Applicant: Mr Tim Watkins. The neighbour's concerns were discussed. It was viewed that neither the proximity to boundary nor potential noise from the roof were grounds for objection. There were no other objections.
    2. There were no planning applications received after publication of the agenda.
    3. The following results of previous applications were received:
      1. App No: 16/00719/OUT Outline planning for the demolition of existing Building and erection of detached single storey dwelling with associated access and works. Location: Land adjacent Finials, Rectory Lane, Hardington Mandeville. Applicant: Mr B White. Application approved with conditions.
      2. App no: 16/01517/LBC The carrying out of internal and external alterations to include replacement windows and door and insertion of downstairs WC. Location: Corner Cottage, Bishops Lane. Applicant: Mr. Gareth Llewellyn. Application approved with conditions.
    4. The Moor End Nursery site is now on the market for sale. No further updates have been received.
  7. HIGHWAYS
    1. Neil reported that he had been given contact details of the painter that East Coker used to paint their sign-posts and was awaiting some quotes from him.
      Neil was still waiting to hear from highways regarding the Moor Lane condition survey (prior to development). Following a comment from a parishioner relating to the overgrown verges, Neil agreed to chase this up with highways.
  8. PARISH PLAN
    1. No interest relating to internet provision in the Village Hall had been received following the note in the Messenger. The clerk was still waiting to receive details of costs for the provision at West Coker Village Hall. Gina Seaton stated that James Divall had details of a grant which could help fund the provision should the Parish Council wish to pursue this. It was agreed that as there was currently no identified requirement, that nothing further would be done at this time.
  9. COMMUNITY FIELD
    1. The Chairman thanked Malcolm and James White for weed-spraying the bike track. He also thanked James White for his help moving and laying the gravel.
    2. The Chairman thanked the Royal Oak for their kind donation of £65 towards the Community Field as a result of fund raising from the Easter Egg Hunt and Bingo night.
    3. The Chairman reported that having spoken to Chris Cooper regarding the collection of waste from the Community Field, Chris has agreed for the street-scene team to collect the waste once a week at no extra cost.
  10. RISK MANAGEMENT
    1. There were no current issues.
  11. FINANCE
    1. The Annual Return 2016 has been published and submitted to auditors.
    2. The Period of exercise of public rights runs from 03/06/2016 - 14/07/16.
    3. The Clerk's hours for May (22 hours) were approved.
    4. A resolution was passed to pay the following invoices:
      • Adam C Taylor - Supply of 6mm stone for bike track: (£60.90 + VAT £12.18)​ £73.08
      • West Country Heating - 2nd installment for Village Hall heating system: £5301.75
      • A F Denning Ltd - heating system installation​: £2313.30
  12. FOOTPATHS
    1. The Chairman has emailed Les Braunton regarding required maintenance to the path between the Post Office and Moor Lane. He has agreed to look into this.
    2. Andy Webb reported that Y10/4 from Moor Lane to the woods was significantly overgrown with stinging nettles. The Chairman agreed to follow this up.
  13. PARISH RANGER SCHEME
    No new tasks were added to the Ranger's list of jobs.
  14. CORRESPONDENCE
    1. Coker Councils Forum event Wednesday 29th June 2016, 7pm at The Pavitt Hall, Church Lane, Barwick. The Chairman agreed to attend this meeting.
    2. The Somerset Rivers Authority (SRA) have sent a newsletter detailing how people's money is being spent in 2016/17 and how the SRA might develop in future. The Chairman has asked the webmaster to put this on the website.
    3. SSC learning, listening Changing Survey. The Chairman asked all Councillors to read this document so that answers can be collated in time for next months meeting.
  15. MATTERS OF REPORT & ITEMS FOR NEXT MEETING
    1. Chairman: The Chairman asked everyone to check their availability for the next couple of meetings to ensure there is a quorum during the holiday season. The Chairman and Vice Chairman are away for the August meeting.
    2. Councillors: Nothing to report.
    3. Clerk: Nothing to report.
  16. DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING & CLOSURE
    The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 19th July 2016 at 7.30 p.m. in the Village Hall. The meeting closed at 8.40pm.

After the meeting there was an opportunity for the public to speak:

A parishioner enquired if there was any plan to install more dog litter bins in the area. The Chairman replied that English Nature intends to put bins in the Nature Reserve.

 

Links to Previous Minutes

2021
January February March April May June July August September October
2020
January February March May June July August September October
November
2019
January February March April May June July August September October
November
2018
January February March April May June July August September October November
2017
January February March April May June July August September October November
2016
January February March April May June July August September October November
2015
January February March April May June July August September October November
2014
January February March April May June July August September October November December
2013
January February March April May June July August September October November December
2012
January February March April May June July August September October October-(extra) November
2011
January February March April May June July August September October November