MINUTES OF MEETING OF HARDINGTON MANDEVILLE PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON 15th SEPTEMBER 2015
|Members were reminded that the Council has a general duty to consider the following matters in the exercise of any of its functions - Equal Opportunities (race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status & any disability); Crime & Disorder, Health & Safety and Human Rights.
Nancy Chapman, Parish Clerk
Andy Webb, Clare Middleton, Bill Turner, Ernest Kong and Gina Seaton (District Councillor).
Nancy Chapman (Parish Clerk) and 9 members of the public.
Before the meeting commenced there was an opportunity for the public to speak:
Two parishioners representing the Village Hall Committee (VHC) asked the Parish Council if they would consider giving them permission to go ahead with the Solar Panel installation to the roof of the Village Hall. This has now become more urgent as the government feed-in tariff is to be reduced by up to 90% next year and also the village hall is deteriorating more rapidly due to poor heating. The VHC have been fund raising for this over the last couple of years. As requested by the PC, they have appointed an independent expert to consult on the heating system, which could then be funded by the PC.
A parishioner complained that nobody in the village was given any notice of the recent Primrose Hill road closure. In addition to this, there is due to be a traffic control at the bottom of Lyatts between 9th November and 1st December and also Font Lane and Ridge Lane are due to be closed from 5th October for 10 days. Neil Dyer agreed to write to SCC to complain about the lack of notice of the Primrose Hill closure.
With regards to item 6d, a parishioner asked the PC to respond to his recent email, asking for clarification of the PC's definition of affordable housing to avoid ambiguity in discussions with Halsall and SSDC.
With regards to item 8a, a parishioner asked the Parish Council if they would consider nominating the Mandeville Arms as a Community Asset, as although he had collected more than the required 21 names for a community nomination, he felt a PC nomination would carry more weight. The parishioner stated that if pub was added to the community asset register this may help prevent it being changed into a private residence in the future, as there had been concerns of this is the past.
- APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE .
Apologies were received from Robin Carpenter, Malcolm White, Paul Vallis and Cathy Bakewell (District Councillor).
- MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 18th August 2015 (Already Circulated)
A minor amendment was made to section 7a of the minutes for August before they were approved and signed by the Chairman as correct records of the meeting.
- DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST.
- MATTERS OF REPORT ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MINUTES.
- DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS' REPORTS (BY INVITATION)
Gina Seaton's report included details of the hospital multi-storey car park application, the upcoming SSVCA fair and reported that SSDC is giving serious consideration to taking over the management of the Westlands Sports & Leisure Complex. Gina also gave details that SSDC have failed to meet the requirements of their 5 year land supply. They are required to supply 5391 dwellings and only have 4692 planned. The result of this invalidates current SSDC policy and may have a significant impact on future planning applications.
The Chairman read highlights from Cathy Bakewell and Marcus Fysh's reports. Cathy reported that having spoken to Simon Fox last Thursday, he informed her that no appeal had yet been lodged regarding the Moor End application. Marcus reported that Councillors have once again been allocated a £5000 Health and Well-Being grant.
- PLANNING AND PLANNING APPLICATIONS
- There were no planning applications received after publication of the agenda.
- Results of previous applications:
App no: 15/02998/LBC The installation of 2 replacement windows and alterations to one chimney stack at Grass Hill, High Street. Applicant: Mr Keith Blackwell. Approved with conditions.
- There were no results of previous applications received after publication of the agenda.
- Discussion took place regarding a parishioner's email asking the PC to clarify their definition of the phrase affordable housing. The email asked the PC to state their definition: either:
- low cost housing/starter homes with Government Help-To-Buy Scheme. Or
- Affordable housing as defined by NPPF/SSDC
- There was no update on the Moor End Nursery Site application.
- In addition to his report as previously distributed, Neil had spoken to Mike Bickerton who confirmed there used to be an agreement made with SCC to prevent the cutting of an area of verge on Primrose Hill due to wild flowers and birds. Neil agreed to contact SCC to re-instate this.
- Details were reported of the Ridge Lane and Font Lane closures from 5th October 2015 for 10 days to enable BT Openreach gully cleaning works followed by cabling work. Neil agreed to give notice of this in the Messenger.
- An email from SALC requesting PC views of large farm machinery driving through village centres and causing problems was discussed. The PC did not view this as a problem in Hardington.
- PARISH PLAN
- A statement from the owner of the Mandeville Arms was read out and included details of why he felt the pub should not be nominated as a community asset. This was then discussed by the PC who felt that if the pub had not been acquired by the community in the recent 3 years of being on the market, it was unlikely that this will have changed. As the community already had adequate support to proceed (in excess of the 21 names required) it was agreed that the PC nomination would not go ahead at this time.
- Following a request from the VHC for PC approval for them to go ahead with the installation of the Solar panels, a resolution was passed to approve this. This would be funded by the VHC, with the intention of the PC funding the heating system once it had been investigated further.
- COMMUNITY FIELD
- It was decided to postpone the discussion of security concerns until the next meeting so that further information regarding the possibility of locking the inner gates of the field could be obtained.
- SSDC's Rob Parr has replied to the Chairman's query regarding the Gazebo, stating that as impact surfaces are only required by the European standard under play equipment and not street furniture, he would not think it's necessary to put impact surfacing on the gazebo floor.
- The Vice Chariman thanked the Flower & Craft Committee for their £25 donation towards the Community Field, following another successful show. The Clark agreed to write a letter of thanks.
- RISK MANAGEMENT
- The Clerk agreed to contact the SCC Flood Risk Management Team to determine if there are any updates on available funding.
- The clerk’s appraisal is still to be scheduled.
- The Notice of Conclusion of audit has been received and advertised. The previously circulated external audit report only raised minor issues.
- The Clerk's hours for August (21.5 hours) were confirmed.
- Having received application forms to apply for funding to enable PC's to comply with the Transparency Code requirements, the clerk agreed to contact Brian Dodd to get a view on his length of commitment to maintaining the parish website. The funding application could then be discussed in more detail at the next meeting.
- A resolution was passed to approve payment of the following:
Grant Thornton UK - Audit fee (£100.00 + VAT £20.00) £120.00
- There were no current issues.
- PARISH RANGER SCHEME
- Although Matthew was still off-work ill, his replacement has begun work on the list of village hall external maintenance jobs and it was felt this would occupy him on his next visit.
- The Clerk informed councillors that SALC were planning a number of new training courses entitled "How to be a good Councillor" to be held in Somerton or West Camel.
- MATTERS OF REPORT & ITEMS FOR NEXT MEETING
- Chairman. Nothing to report.
- Councillors: Nothing to report.
- Clerk: Nothing to report.
- DATE AND TIME OF NEST MEETING & CLOSURE
The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 20th October 2015 at 7.30pm in the Village Hall. The meeting closed at 8.51pm.