The Minutes of the previous meeting July 2015)

MINUTES OF MEETING OF HARDINGTON MANDEVILLE PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON 18th AUGUST 2015 AT 7.30pm
IN THE VILLAGE HALL

Members were reminded that the Council has a general duty to consider the following matters in the exercise of any of its functions - Equal Opportunities (race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status & any disability); Crime & Disorder, Health & Safety and Human Rights.
Nancy Chapman, Parish Clerk

PRESENT

Robin Carpenter, Malcolm White, Bill Turner, Ernest Kong, and Gina Seaton (District Councillor).

IN ATTENDANCE

Nancy Chapman (Parish Clerk) and 14 members of the public.

Before the meeting commenced there was an opportunity for the public to speak:

A parishioner asked the Parish Council if they would consider nominating the Mandeville Arms as a Community Asset. The Localism Act gives community groups the opportunity to nominate land or buildings in their area which they think are of 'community value' to be included on a list held by the Council. Should the asset then be placed on the market for sale by its owners, this triggers a stand still period to allow community groups to bid for the asset.

A parishioner representing the Moor Lane residents presented an email from David Matthews with Halsall Homes latest proposal for the site following an on-site meeting with residents. This proposed 10 houses with no element of affordable housing. As this proposal would fail to comply with the local plan policy it would need the support of the Parish (including the community and PC). The residents would still prefer to see a maximum of 8 houses on the site and asked that the PC write a letter to support this. Another resident of Moor Lane stated they would be sorry to loose the opportunity to provide some affordable housing in the village.

The Chairman read a statement regarding a letter that had been sent to SSDC from a parishioner regarding the Moor End Nursery planning application refusal. The Chairman felt the letter was libellous and defamatory towards the PC and in particular himself. The letter had been displayed on the planning website for 2 weeks, before being removed following the Chairman’s complaint.

  1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE .
    Apologies were received from Andy Webb, Paul Vallis, Clare Middleton and Cathy Bakewell (District Councillor).
  2. MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 21st July 2015 (Already Circulated)
    The minutes for July were approved and signed by the Chairman as correct records of the meeting.
  3. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST.
    Robin Carpenter declared an interest in item 6c.
  4. MATTERS OF REPORT ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MINUTES.
    None
  5. DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS' REPORTS (BY INVITATION)
    Gina Seaton reported that there was no Area South meeting or full Council meeting in August. Gina gave details of a SSVCA fair being held on 27th October, 2.30pm to 8.00pm and had further information on the Council Tax Support Scheme if anyone was interested (www.southsomerset.gov.uk/). Gina also gave details regarding the Hendford Hill closure for 3 months from 1st September to complete improvements to the roundabout.
    The Chairman read highlights from Cathy Bakewell’s report. This included details of the Somerset Waste Partnership newsletter and other details as included in Gina’s report.
  6. PLANNING AND PLANNING APPLICATIONS
    1. Planning applications received after publication of this agenda:

      App no: 15/00341/FUL The erection of a stable block and hard standing and the change of use of land from agricultural to equestrian at Land OS 1478 Hill End, hardington Mandeville. Applicant Miss Wendy Southcombe. There were no objections.

    2. Results of previous applications received after publication of this agenda:
      1. App no: 15/02294/FUL Amended plans for the erection of a 4-bay agricultural building for calf rearing at Land OS 0075 Broad Hill, Hardington Mandeville. Applicant: Mr E Perrin. Application approved with conditions including removing the 2-bay timber building, shipping container and touring caravan already on the site and also, that manure heaps and drainage should be handled so that they do not cause any pollution. The Chairman commented that it was disappointing that the PC’s request for further landscaping had not been included in the conditions.
      2. App no:14/04063/OUT Outline application for the erection of an agricultural workers dwelling at Woodentop Farm, West Coker Hill. Applicant: Mr Paul Richards. The Chairman reported that the appeal against the decision to refuse this application had been dismissed.

        Ernest Kong acted as Chairman for the following item:

    3. Discussion took place regarding Hallsall Homes’ latest proposal for 10 houses, with no affordable housing provision, following a site meeting with Moor Lane residents. Hallsall Homes stated the proposal would not be taken further without the support of the parish. Ernest Kong and Bill Turner felt that it was difficult to support a proposal with no element of affordable housing, but following discussion, a resolution was passed to write a letter to David Matthews stating that both the PC and community would support a proposal of 8 houses instead of 10.

      Robin Carpenter resumed the role of Chairman.

  7. HIGHWAYS
    1. Neil reported that he had made a request to SCC to consider re-allocating their resources to clearing drains while road repairs were minimal, but had not had a reply. Neil also enquired if there were any recollections of an agreement made with SCC to prevent the cutting of an area of verge on Primrose Hill due to wild birds. The PC did not know of any, and suggested Neil talk to Mike Bickerton.
  8. PARISH PLAN
    1. Regarding a parishioners request for the PC to nominate the Mandeville Arms as a community asset, the Chairman agreed to put this on the agenda for discussion at September’s meeting so that further information can be gathered and all views could be considered. In addition to the PC being able to nominate community assets, 21 members of the community are also able to do this and it was suggested that the necessary forms are obtained to begin this process.
  9. COMMUNITY FIELD
    1. Following reports of children mis-using them, the Chairman had removed the corner posts that he had donated to the community field in order to prevent any damage. If anyone needs to use them they should contact him.
    2. Concerns had been raised that the Gazebo base may require some sort of safety matting to help prevent children hurting themselves if they are to climb up the inside and fall down. While it was viewed by the PC that this was not necessary, it was felt prudent that this should be checked with Rob Parr of SSDC.
    3. Following recent illegal traveler encampments in the area, concern was raised regarding the Community Field security. Gina reported that the recommended solution to prevent this is a steel barrier to prevent high vehicles entering the site. This would cost approximately 2K and would also prevent high vehicles entering the site for special events. It was agreed that due to this high cost, to take a chance with this.
  10. RISK MANAGEMENT
    1. The Clerk is still awaiting a response from SCC regarding the process for making an application to the SCC Flood Alleviation Fund.
    2. The Chairman gave his apologies that he had not yet scheduled a clerk appraisal.
  11. FINANCE
    1. The Clerk’s hours for July (22 hours) were confirmed.
    2. A resolution was passed to approve payment of the following:
      • SSDC Ranger Scheme April-June 2015 (382.50 + VAT 76.50): 459.00
      • Somerset Landscapes Ltd – football pitch marking: 36.00
  12. FOOTPATHS
    1. The Chairman reported that the Bridleways Association was contacting landowners regarding a bridleway status dedication for Coldharbour Lane.
  13. PARISH RANGER SCHEME
    1. The Ranger had strimmed the triangle and walled area below the triangle on his last visit.
    2. The Ranger had already been passed the list of village hall external maintenance jobs and it was felt this would occupy him on his next visit. The hedge-trimming of the inside of the community field was discussed and Bill Turner said he would get this done next time the hedge trimmer was attached to the tractor.
  14. CORRESPONDENCE
    1. The Chairman said he would be attending the flood risk management event and also the SALC AGM.
  15. MATTERS OF REPORT & ITEMS FOR NEXT MEETING
    1. Chairman. Nothing to report.
    2. Councillors: Nothing to report.
    3. Clerk: Nothing to report.
  16. DATE AND TIME OF NEST MEETING & CLOSURE
    The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 15th September 2015 at 7.30 p.m. in the Village Hall. The Chairman gave his apologies as he would be unable to attend this meeting. The meeting closed at 8.37pm.