The Minutes of the previous meeting (August 2013)

MINUTES OF MEETING OF HARDINGTON MANDEVILLE PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON 17th SEPTEMBER 2013 AT 7.30pm
IN THE VILLAGE HALL

Members were reminded that the Council has a general duty to consider the following matters in the exercise of any of its functions - Equal Opportunities (race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status & any disability); Crime & Disorder, Health & Safety and Human Rights.
Nancy Chapman, Parish Clerk

PRESENT

Robin Carpenter (Chairman), Vanessa May, Bill Turner, Malcolm White, Paul Vallis and Marcus Fysh (County Councillor).

IN ATTENDANCE

Nancy Chapman (Parish Clerk) and 1 member of the public.

Before the meeting there was an opportunity for the public to speak.

  1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
    Apologies were received from Peter Bysouth, Keith Blackwell, Cathy Bakewell (District Councillor) and Gina Seaton (District Councillor).
  2. MINUTES OF MEETINGS held on 20th and 27th August 2013 (Already Circulated).
    1. The minutes were approved and signed by the Chairman as correct records of the meetings.
  3. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST.
    None.
  4. MATTERS OF REPORT ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MINUTES.
    It was reported that an order has been placed with Kitchen Updates for the village hall kitchen refurbishment (deposit of £1356 (50%)) and that work had begun.
  5. DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS' REPORTS (by invitation)
    Marcus Fysh explained that he had viewed the consultation website set up by SSDC. The aim of the website is to help consult with the people in the area on how a 30% saving on the annual budget (as set by the coalition government) is to be made. The website gives details of how money is currently spent in different areas. The council want to encourage input from parishes and large population areas to help understand peopleís priorities. Marcus stated he would be happy to front a parish event to explain the consultation process if required.
  6. PLANNING & PLANNING APPLICATIONS
    1. There were no new planning applications received.
    2. There were no planning applications received since publication of the agenda
    3. It was reported that the following application has been approved: App.No.13/02698/FUL.The erection of an agricultural lean-to building at Brooksfield, Lyatts. Applicant Mr R Brooks.
    4. There were no other planning issues.
  7. HIGHWAYS
      1. Neil reported that no new highway defects have been reported in the last month.
      2. Follow-up letter to SCC relating to quality of repairs Neil has received an acknowledgement letter from David Huxtable of SCC Highways. He hoped to have a further reply in the next few weeks.
      3. North Lane and Coker Hill Lane Road Surface. SCC have acknowledged that the road from North Lane to Coker Hill is deteriorating due to site traffic to Under Hill Cottage. They have said they will continue to monitor it.
      4. Planings for minor off-road potholes. SCC have noted the request for a supply of planings, but stated that it will be 2014 before any become available. Neil agreed to follow this up in Spring.
      5. Surface Water Drainage at Hill End. SCC provided a drainage map of the road near Chaser's Farm. The drain is below the farm, but the problem area appears to be the west side of the road, above the farm. It was agreed that this would be followed up once we have had more rainfall, and the source of the problem can be identified more clearly.
    1. The Chairman reported that the highways repair on the road opposite The Spinney, Primrose Hill appears to have been successful.
    2. The Chairman reported that West Coker Parish Council have agreed to contribute £100 towards the cost for one or more grit bins on West Coker Hill. An email from West Coker Councilor, Chris Barker, reported that he had visited the site, with the aim of identifying locations near to the junction with Ridge Lane, or on the steep part of the hill just south of there. He had been unable to find a suitable location for a bin, due to the land alongside the road being private. He stated there were possible sites between the junction with Ridge Lane and the A30 bridge, but that this is not where the grit is needed. An email sent by a resident in December 2011 mentioned that Ian Coates who lives in Marrowleaze, on the south west side of the road junction was happy to locate the bin there. The chairman agreed to contact Ian Coates to discuss this with him.
    3. The Chairman asked if there was any progress on repairs to the damaged wall on North Lane. He felt that if the person who did the damage was known, that the cost of repairs should be claimed from them. Neil Dyer agreed to follow up this issue with the highways department.
  8. PARISH PLAN
    1. The Chairman reported that the results of the Housing Needs Survey had been received and circulated. He highlighted the results for question 8 of the survey, that identified that 82.5% (33 people) of those who completed the questionnaire would be in favour of a small development of affordable homes in the village for local people. Natalie Ross has stated she will be liaising with the Planning department to determine the next step.
    2. The Clerk agreed to print-off and bind some updated Welcome Packs once she has sourced some suitable binders.
  9. COMMUNITY FIELD
    1. The Chairman reported that the new top soil by the tunnel area has been seeded with grass. It was agreed that it might be beneficial if the area was rolled.
    2. The Chairman agreed to follow-up the possibility of a wooden exercise station with SSDC.
    3. The Chairman agreed to investigate the proposal for a gazebo-style shelter.
    4. The Chairman agreed to investigate the entrance to the community field following reports of car bumpers scraping the road when exiting the car park.
  10. RISK MANAGEMENT
    1. There were no current issues.
  11. FINANCE
    1. The Clerk’s hours (23 hours) for August were approved.
    2. A resolution was passed to reimburse Robin Carpenter £15.90 for grass seed for the community field.
  12. FOOTPATHS
    1. The Chairman reported that someone unknown had repaired the style on Y10/4.
    2. Malcolm While commented that the style on Partway Lane appeared to be very high. The Chairman agreed to investigate this.
  13. PARISH RANGER SCHEME
    1. Despite there having been two scheduled visits to the parish by the Ranger in August and September, no update has been received regarding the work completed or hours carried out. The Clerk agreed to contact Stephen Fox for a progress update.
    2. It was agreed the following tasks should be added to the Rangers list:
      1. The new drain before the entrance to the Nature Reserve is blocked where the bank has collapsed into it.
      2. The area around the post box opposite The Mandeville Arms needs strimming.
  14. CORRESPONDENCE
    The following previously circulated email correspondence was discussed:
    1. SSDC Town and Parishes Workshop 25th September 2013 in the Council Chamber
    2. Agenda for the SALC AGM and All Areas Meeting 28th September 2013 in Somerton.
    3. Local Choices Event on 6th November 2013 (6-9pm). The Chairman felt it was important that someone should attend this meeting. It was agreed that this would be put on Octoberís agenda.
    4. Designation of East Coker Neighbourhood Area. An email has been received confirming that the District Councilís Executive has agreed to designate East Coker Neighbourhood area. Marcus Fysh explained that this is the first step for preparing a neighbourhood plan.
  15. MATTERS OF REPORT & ITEMS FOR NEXT MEETING
    1. Chairman. Nothing to report.
    2. Councillors. A councillor reported that there were now over 15 caravans and vehicles located at The Stables, Partway Lane, and that it was clear that the site was being used for business use, despite the restrictions imposed. Marcus Fysh agreed to investigate this.
    3. Clerk. Nothing to report.
  16. DATE AND TIME OF NEST MEETING & CLOSURE
    The date for next meeting will be Tuesday 15th October 2013 at 7.30pm in the Village Hall. The meeting closed at 8.34pm.