The Minutes of the previous meeting (October 2013)

MINUTES OF MEETING OF HARDINGTON MANDEVILLE PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON 19th NOVEMBER 2013 AT 7.30pm
IN THE VILLAGE HALL

Members were reminded that the Council has a general duty to consider the following matters in the exercise of any of its functions - Equal Opportunities (race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status & any disability); Crime & Disorder, Health & Safety and Human Rights.
Nancy Chapman, Parish Clerk

PRESENT

Robin Carpenter (Chairman), Peter Bysouth, Keith Blackwell, Bill Turner, Vanessa May, Gina Seaton (District Councillor) and Ric Pallister (Leader of SSDC).

IN ATTENDANCE

Nancy Chapman (Parish Clerk) and 7 members of the public.

Before the meeting there was an opportunity for the public to speak.

The Chairman introduced Stephen Fox, the SSDC Principal Horticultural Officer who manages the Ranger Scheme and Matthew, our allocated Ranger and thanked them for attending the meeting. Stephen reported that there were now eleven parishes in the Ranger Scheme and that he felt the scheme was working well. If there are any problems they are happy to address and fix them. The bulk of Ranger work being carried out at the moment related to clearing blocked drains. The Chairman asked if there was any possibility of obtaining a mini digger to clear the drains along the path between Moor Lane and the village shop. Stephen said this may be possible in the next few weeks.

  1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
    Apologies were received from Malcolm White, Paul Vallis, Marcus Fysh (County Councillor) and Cathy Bakewell (District Councillor).
  2. MINUTES OF MEETINGS held on 15th October 2013 (Already Circulated).
    1. A minor amendment was made to paragraph 8a before the minutes were approved and signed by the Chairman as a correct record of the meeting.
  3. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST.
    The Chairman declared a prejudicial interest in item 14a) regarding the Y10/30 footpath diversion, as the landowner was a client of his.
  4. MATTERS OF REPORT ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MINUTES.
    None.
  5. DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS' REPORTS (by invitation)
    Gina Seaton reported that the only planning application they had looked at this month was at Witches Way, Holywell and this had been refused. James Duvall had given a presentation on Youth Development with a focus on areas with a high concentration of affordable housing such as Birchfiled and Milford. Chris Cooper gave an update on managing open spaces within the town. Gina had also attended the Somerset Together meeting where topics discussed included the Citizens Advice Bureau and the Volunteer car scheme (a growing network of helpers that can drive the elderly or disabled to places they need to be such as hospital appointments).

    The Chairman read a report from Marcus Fysh on last monthís county topics including Hinkley Point, Highways/transport issues, Corporate Parent Group, Childrenís Centres, Adult Care and Health. Marcus asked if the council would like to put together a case for small improvements in Hardington to utilise part of his Health and Well-Being Fund which needs to be decided by February.

  6. DDRESS BY CLLR RIC PALLISTER REFERENCE AFFORDABLE HOUSING
    Ric Pallister stated that recent changes in planning legislation meant that there would be no development in rural villages unless the village wanted it. He outlined 3 types of housing need that the council might be interested in:
    1. Those people within the village that need help to get on the housing ladder;
    2. Those people within the village who can afford to have a mortgage, but canít afford house prices within the village;
    3. Those people within the village that already own houses in the village, but would like to downsize to smaller more suitable properties yet still remain in the village eg.the elderly.
    Ric felt that the ever-increasing ageing population of villages was not given enough consideration. The first thing that needed to be identified is what the village wants in order to create a sustainable environment within the village. This should be done by carrying out surveys. Once a housing need has been identified a willing landowner is needed. Following this a company such as Hastoe should be approached as they have experience of these schemes.
  7. PLANNING & PLANNING APPLICATIONS
    1. APP No. 13/03914/FUL Conversion of existing outbuilding into a self contained annexe at Partway House, Partway Lane. Applicant: Mr David Marr.
      The details of this application had been circulated previously and as no members of the council had objected or made any observations and the deadline for a response was prior to the scheduled meeting, the Chairman had informed the planning department that the council would not be making a formal response.
    2. There were no planning applications received after publication of the agenda.
    3. There were no results of previous applications.
    4. A letter was sent to the Planning department regarding Woodentop Farm.
    5. There were no other planning issues.
  8. HIGHWAYS
    1. Neil Dyer reported that he and Robin had met with SCC’s Highway Service Manager, Scott Davies to discuss the poor quality of road repairs. They felt this meeting was very constructive and they had gained a broader perspective of the highways tasks. SCC has a very cheap “fixed rate fee” for pothole repairs with its contractor, possibly giving them less concern over repeated repairs. Scott was given a clearer impression of the council’s concern over repeated repairs of the same defect.
    2. Neil also discussed the blocked drain on Primrose Hill with Scott Davies, who was able to witness the water on the road on his visit.
    3. Scott Davies agreed to discuss the Coker Hill/ North Lane road deterioration with the contractors working on Underhill Cottage.
    4. It was also agreed they would monitor the surface water at Chasers Farm, although the solution is not clear at present.
    5. Concerns were raised regarding possible effects on road drains and the visual impact of proposed poles to carry telephone cable from the end of Moor Lane to the new house by the Nature Reserve.
    6. It was agreed that the Ranger should be asked if he could collect the ten 20Kg salt bags from the Houndstone depot and deliver them to be stored at Bill Turner’s Farm. It was agreed an advert should be placed in the Messenger advertising the salt for self-help use on public footpaths/roads.
    7. Two quotes for a 400 Litre Grit bin for West Coker Hill were presented, but it was felt that 400 Litres may be larger than necessary. A resolution was passed to approve the clerk ordering a Grit bin up to a maximum cost of £200 (excluding VAT).
  9. PARISH PLAN
    1. Village Litter Pick Autumn Event Saturday 7th December 10am-12pm. The Clerk had made arrangements for hiring the equipment. The Chairman agreed to collect the equipment and manage the event on the day.
  10. COMMUNITY FIELD
    1. The Chairman read out a letter from Mike Bickerton regarding suggestions for improving the field including another children’s swing, a permanent barbeque area, a wooden gazebo and an outside exercise area. Mike suggested that a new group of interested villagers should be formed to keep the place in order and perform simple maintenance tasks when required. The Chairman agreed to speak to Mike Bickerton to discuss this further.
    2. The Chairman stated that he was meeting with Playdale to discuss further equipment options. He had also obtained some quotes from the ToyBarn for Swings and a Gazebo.
  11. RISK MANAGEMENT
    1. The dispute regarding the electrical work at the village hall was discussed. It was agreed that a meeting should be arranged between members of the Village Hall Committee, the Electrical contractor and the Chairman to discuss the matter further.
  12. FINANCE
    1. The Bank Reconciliation at 30th September 2013 was approved.
    2. The Budget Analysis at 30th September 2013 was reviewed.
    3. The first draft of the precept for 2014-15 was presented. Peter Bysouth agreed to review this and update it in time for January’s meeting.
    4. The Clerks hours for October were approved (31.75 hours).
    5. A resolution was passed to pay SALC for Clerk training courses (£40).
    6. A resolution was passed to pay SSDC for the Community Licence (£70).
    7. A resolution was passed to pay SSDC for the Parish Ranger Scheme July-September (3 days x 8hrs x £17 = £408 + VAT = £489.60)
  13. FOOTPATHS
    1. The Vice Chairman outlined details of the proposed footpath diversion to Y10/30. The landowners have submitted an application to divert a section of this footpath as it currently runs through a working farmyard. The diversion will aid farm security as well as creating a safer route for footpath users. A resolution was passed to support the diversion.
    2. The Chairman reported the following:
      1. The electric fence issue on Y9/4 has been addressed.
      2. Problems had been logged on path Y10/33, which were being addressed by the County Council.
      3. There is also going to be a possible diversion of the Y10/27 bridleway.
      4. A self closing gate can be provided on Y10/9 near Eastfield Cottage. The Chairman agreed to follow this up, in addition to a request for a field gate with stile on Y10/11.
  14. PARISH RANGER SCHEME
    1. An update regarding the work completed and also an invoice detailing the hours carried out by the Ranger had been received.
    2. It was agreed the following tasks should be added to the Rangers list:
      1. The area around the telephone box opposite The Mandeville Arms still needs strimming.
      2. The area around the telephone box in Hardington Moor still needs strimming.
      3. The blocked drain on Lyatts Lane needs clearing (opposite the entrance to Apple Tree Cottage).
    3. The Chairman agreed to look into purchasing some perspex to replace that broken on the Moor notice board.
  15. CORRESPONDENCE
    The following previously circulated email correspondence was discussed:
    1. Annual Precept notification request from South Somerset District Council.
    2. Letter re Parish Highway Service Info Pack. (passed to Neil for info)
    3. SSDC Annual Parish Meeting Monday 2nd December. Chairman and Vice Chairman to attend.
    4. SALC Area South Meeting Monday 9th December. Chairman to attend.
  16. MATTERS OF REPORT & ITEMS FOR NEXT MEETING
    1. Chairman. Nothing to report.
    2. Councillors:
      Having attended the Local Choices Event in November, Peter Bysouth summarised the meeting. The theme was “Helping communities to Help Themselves” with four main areas covered. These were the Citizens Advice Bureau, The Community Resilience Scheme (plans for emergencies such as flooding), Community Car Schemes and Dementia Friendly Communities. Peter also suggested that we might consider having a CAB speaker at the 2014 Annual Assembly.
      Peter also gave an update from the Village Hall Committee. The first coffee morning had raised £47 but the Bonfire Night had lost £32. This was mainly thought to be due to low attendance because of the poor weather forecast and also expenses were higher than last year. A new dinner dance was being planned for March 2014. The Street Fair meeting was well attended and the 2014 event set for the last Saturday in June. Now that the pre-school has finished, the playground gates are to be removed to allow parking at the side of the hall. The purchase of further items for use in the village hall kitchen as well as a new window has been agreed. The financial report for the first two quarters showed a healthy financial position. However this would be the last time income from the Pre-school would be included in the figures.
    3. Clerk. Nothing to report.
  17. DATE AND TIME OF NEST MEETING & CLOSURE
    The date for next meeting will be Tuesday 21st January 2013 at 7.30 p.m. in the Village Hall. The meeting closed at 9.39 pm.