The Minutes of the previous meeting (March 2013)

MINUTES OF MEETING OF HARDINGTON MANDEVILLE PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON 16th APRIL 2013 FOLLOWING THE ANNUAL ASSEMBLY
IN THE VILLAGE HALL

Members were reminded that the Council has a general duty to consider the following matters in the exercise of any of its functions - Equal Opportunities (race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status & any disability); Crime & Disorder, Health & Safety and Human Rights.
Sharyn White, Temporary Parish Clerk

The minutes of another later meeting on 23rd April follow these minutes.

PRESENT

Robin Carpenter (Chairman), Peter Bysouth, Malcolm White, Bill Turner, Paul Vallis, Keith Blackwell, Vanessa May, and Gina Seaton (District Councillor).

IN ATTENDANCE

Sharyn White (Temporary Parish Clerk) and 3 members of the public.

Before the meeting commenced there was an opportunity for the public to speak.
Jim Hedges expressed concern about the repairs to the roads: Gina Seaton explained that the recent weather had made it almost impossible for the Council to keep up with the necessary work but it was constantly being monitored and the Parish Council are doing all they can in terms of complaints about the work and reporting pot holes etc on a regular basis. He also commented on the lack of high speed broadband in the village: Gina will look into the latest progress on connecting Devon and Somerset. He also complained about the lack of a response to his letter about the Localism Act with particular reference to the Mandeville Arms. The council explained that this had regrettably been overlooked when preparing the agenda and would be discussed at the May meeting.

  1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
    There were no apologies for absence.
  2. MINUTES OF MEETING held on 19th March 2013 (Already Circulated)
    1. The minutes were approved and signed by the Chairman as a correct record of the meeting.
  3. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST.
    There were no declarations of interest.
  4. MATTERS OF REPORT ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MINUTES.
    1. No matters of report.
  5. DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS' REPORTS (by invitation)
    Gina reported that following the death of the UKIP candidate the election for the Coker Ward would now be held on 16th May instead of the 2nd May.
  6. PLANNING & PLANNING APPLICATIONS
    1. Planning Application received: there were none.
    2. Applications had been received since publication of the agenda: there were none.
    3. Results of previous applications received: there were none.
  7. HIGHWAYS
    1. Report from Highways Representative. The Chairman handed out copies of the Highways report.
    2. A cast iron grid covering a drain at the bottom of the Royal Oak car park has been damaged together with one at the top of North Lane - this will be reported. Milcombe Bridge at the bottom of North Lane has been vandalised: this will be a job for Chris Cooper our Parish Ranger. Jim Hedges complaints about the highway repairs will be forwarded to Neil Dyer.
  8. PARISH PLAN
    1. The Litter Pick on Saturday 23rd March was supported by 6 people and there was an improvement in the amount of litter.
    2. Progress reference Housing Needs Survey. The parish will push forward with the Housing Needs Survey. The Chairman showed the Councillors a Housing Needs Survey form which the District Council will be able to print for distribution with the Messenger. Natalie Ross at the Council will collate the information once the forms have been completed.
  9. COMMUNITY FIELD
    1. Report from the Chairman about the field was all fine and the first grass cut had taken place.
    2. A RESOLUTION to pay for the removal of the grass once cut was proposed by Vanessa May and seconded by Paul Vallis: the cost involved is 60.
    3. Hedge Cutting. The Parish Ranger will cut the inside of the hedges.
  10. RISK MANAGEMENT
    1. Nothing to report under Risk Management.
  11. FINANCE
    1. The Temporary Clerk’s hours for March 2013 are 9 hours.
    2. Update of Village Hall Improvements: a meeting will be held on Monday 22nd at 6pm in the Village Hall to agree payments for the new equipment.
    3. Bonus Saver Account: this will be put on hold for the time being.
    4. Confirmation of payment to Ernest Kong and receipt of cheques from donors ref Oak Benches. The cheques have been received and banked and it was agreed for Peter to pay Ernest 400.
    5. A donation of 120 for the Messenger was agreed.
    6. It was agreed to pay 35 to the Information Commissioner for Data Protection.
    7. It was agreed to reimburse Peter 129 + 25.80 vat + 3. postage making a total of 157.80 for the Clerk’s Invoice.
    8. Peter now has Jessica’s final hours the total is 366.28 + expenses of 10.10 + mileage of 13.50 making a total of 389.88: this will be paid. Jessica’s tax will be dealt with at a later date.
    9. Peter will contact Jessica’s sister about her final payment.
  12. FOOTPATHS
    1. Report from the Footpath Representative. A strimmer can be sourced from the District Council’s Streetscene free of charge so the earlier offer from SSDC will be ignored.
    2. Bill Turner has requested a gate for the footpath Y10/11 - the Chairman will give him the necessary contact details.
  13. PARISH LENGTHSMAN SCHEME
    1. Work carried out in March: a worksheet was obtained by Robin Carpenter for work done in March.
    2. Meeting with Chris Cooper. The Chairman reported that last Friday April 12th he met with Chris Cooper for a walk around the village and discussion as to what jobs were outstanding. We have provisionally agreed that we will use 11 days per annum, though this does not need to be a fixed day per month. Issues noted by Chris were clearance of drains and gullies, clearance of excess vegetation around the church wall, a more thorough clearance of the ditch adjacent to the Moor Lane to PO footpath, and a priority to cut the inside of the hedges around the community field and apply herbicide to the paths, bicycle track and car park. They will also repair the damaged fence at Milcombe Bridge, as this poses a safety risk. Payment for the scheme is usually biannual. We still await return of some outstanding monies from the lengthsman scheme.
  14. APPOINTMENT OF NEW CLERK
    1. Four applications have been received for the position of Clerk & Responsible Financial Officer to the Parish Council; the temporary Clerk will arrange for the candidates to be interviewed at the Chairman’s house.
  15. CORRESPONDENCE
    1. Correspondence to be circulated. The current correspondence has been circulated.
    2. Correspondence received. The SALC Chairman and Councillor Training will be looked at again at the next meeting.
  16. MATTERS OF REPORT & ITEMS FOR NEXT MEETING
    1. Chairman. Nothing to report.
    2. Councillors. Peter Bysouth gave a verbal report on the South Somerset Together meeting he had attended and enclosed the written report in the correspondence envelope.
      Peter also reported on the New Constitution for the Village Hall and the draft report was included in the correspondence envelope.
    3. Clerk. Nothing to report.
  17. DATE AND TIME OF NEST MEETING & CLOSURE
    The date for next meeting will be Tuesday 21st May 2013 at 7.30 pm in the Village Hall. The meeting closed at 10.08 pm.

MINUTES OF MEETING OF HARDINGTON MANDEVILLE PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON 22nd APRIL 2013 AT 6.00pm IN THE VILLAGE HALL

Members were reminded that the Council has a general duty to consider the following matters in the exercise of any of its functions - Equal Opportunities (race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status & any disability); Crime & Disorder, Health & Safety and Human Rights.
Sharyn White, Temporary Parish Clerk

PRESENT

Robin Carpenter (Chairman), Peter Bysouth and Keith Blackwell.

IN ATTENDANCE

Sharyn White (Temporary Parish Clerk).

  1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
    Apologies were received from Malcolm White, Bill Turner, Paul Vallis, Vanessa May and Cathy Bakewell.
  2. PAYMENTS
    1. RESOLUTION REQUIRED to pay Cater-Kwick Ltd for a new dishwasher for the Village Hall kitchen cost 1199 + vat 239.80, total of 1438.80: this was proposed by Peter Bysouth and seconded by Keith Blackwell.
    2. RESOLUTION REQUIRED to pay Nisbets PLC for a Lincat six burner cooker, a Vogue stainless steel sink and twin mixer taps cost 1484.59 + vat 296.91, total of 1,781.50: this was proposed by Keith Blackwell and seconded by Peter Bysouth.
    3. The cheques were written and signed. Robin Carpenter will do the covering letters and send them with the cheques. Proof of posting will be obtained and Robin will arrange to take delivery of the goods when they arrive.
  3. CLOSURE.
    There being no other business the meeting closed at 6.13 pm.