This is a draft document
Links to Previous Minutes
MINUTES OF MEETING OF HARDINGTON MANDEVILLE PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON TUESDAY 19th OCTOBER 2017 IN THE VILLAGE HALL

Members are reminded that the Council has a general duty to consider the following matters in the exercise of any of its functions - Equal Opportunities (race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status & any disability); Crime & Disorder, Health & Safety and Human Rights.
Nancy Chapman, Parish Clerk

PRESENT

Robin Carpenter (Chairman), Malcolm White, Clare Middleton, Ernest Kong, Paul Vallis, Bill Turner Gina Seaton (District Councillor) and Mark Keating (County Councillor).

IN ATTENDANCE

Lucy Gibbons (Temporary Parish Clerk) and 4 members of the public.

The Chairman presented Brian Dodd an engraved Glass Decanter and a bottle of his favourite tipple in recognition of the many years of hard work he has put in as the Hardington Website Webmaster.

Before the meeting commenced there was an opportunity for the public to speak: No items were brought for discussion.

  1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
    Apologies were received from Nancy Chapman, Neil Dyer and Cathy Bakewell (District Councillor).
  2. MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 19th SEPTEMBER 2017 (Already Circulated)
    The minutes for September were approved and signed by the Chairman as correct records of the meeting.
  3. ELECTION OF VICE CHAIRMAN.
    Ernest Kong was nominated and elected as the new Vice Chairman.
  4. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST.
    Malcolm White declared an interest in the planning application for Royal Oak Farm (received after publication of the agenda).
  5. MATTERS OF REPORT ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MINUTES.
    1. The Chairman highlighted a few points made at the recent SSDC planning meeting:
      1. Pre-application advice by letter now subject to a fee of £100, free in person or on the telephone.
      2. CIL from April 2017 = £40 per square metre of buildings for res development. PC will get 15% of this, the parish being responsible for how it is spent. Settlements with Neighbourhood Plans get 25%. CIL is not retrospective, developments approved prior to 01/04/17 dealt with under section 106.
      3. RC reported that the CIL payments from the Moor End Nursery development are reserved as follows. £7155 + £576 maintenance for the WC Cricket Club changing rooms, £3524 + £2514 for the WC Recreation ground redevelopment and £1500 + £555 maintenance for the Hardington Community Field.
      4. There was a lot of discussion about development in rural settlements, vehicular access, country lanes etc.
    2. The Chairman reported that the Councillor vacancy has been advertised. Subject to the condition that 10 electors do not call an election within the required 14-day period, co-option may take place at the November meeting.
  6. COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS' REPORTS (BY INVITATION)
    Mark Keating's and Gina Seaton's reports had been previously circulated.
  7. PLANNING AND PLANNING APPLICATIONS
    1. The following application was received:
      1. App no:17/03465/S19 and 17/03356/S73 Application to vary condition 2 of approval17/00197/LBC and 17/00196/FUL to substitute approved plans with revised plans. Location: White Vine Farm, Common Lane, North Perrott. Applicants: Mr Robert Appleby. Additional information received. There were no objections.
    2. The following planning application was received after publication of the agenda:
      1. App no:17/04132/FUL The erection of an extension to form a roof over dry cow feeding area. Location: Royal Oak Farm, Moor Lane. Applicants: M & S White & Son Ltd. There were no objections.
    3. The following results of previous applications were received:
      1. App no:17/03499/FUL The erection of a single storey rear extension, dormer, and alterations to roof and balcony. Location: Highlands, High Street, Hardington Mandeville. Applicants: Mr and Mrs Richard Beatson. Approved with conditions.
    4. There were no other results of previous applications received after publication of this agenda.
    5. There were no other issues.
  8. HIGHWAYS
    1. There were no new defects added to Neil’s report for the month.
    2. Neil has received £300 towards the cost of the new disabled parking bay from a donor who wishes to remain anonymous. Neil has also submitted an application to SSDC from their Community fund and is in the process of compiling an appeal to the Somerset Community Foundation. Both The Beaverbrook Foundation and Yarlington Housing Group are unable to support the project.
    3. There were no updates on the subject of replacing the missing finger for the signpost at the junction of Barry Lane and Penn Lane.
    4. No action has yet been taken to correct the position of the replacement HGV sign at the Hill End crossroads, intended to prevent large vehicles from driving up West Coker Hill Lane.
    5. The Chairman reported that the “SLOW” signs on the road at the bottom of Pig Hill and on the corner of the Moor Lane junction were no longer visible and required re-painting. MK will put in a request to SCC to have this done.
    6. A complaint has been received about the mud on some village roads, following the Maize harvest. The PC was assured that every effort was made by the farmers to clear this as soon as it was possible.
  9. PARISH PLAN
    1. No issues for discussion.
  10. COMMUNITY FIELD
    1. Following the PC request to tidy up the clumps of grass at no extra cost to the PC, the Streetscene team was happy to do this. However, the cut following this also produced large clumps of grass and so the Chairman once again contacted Chris Cooper, mentioning that the field did not have this problem with the previous contractor. Chris Cooper felt this was probably due to faster-than-usual grass growth that is currently being experienced at this time of year. The PC will review this when the contract is due for renewal next year.
    2. BT/MW agreed to sort out the cutting of the inside of the hedges at the Community Field.
    3. The ‘No camping’ sign has been erected.
    4. RC has chased the Annual Inspection and Risk Assessment report. This was completed in August, but the report is still outstanding. We should receive it soon.
  11. RISK MANAGEMENT
    1. There were no issues
  12. FINANCE
    1. The Clerk's hours for September (21.5 hours) were approved.
    2. A resolution was passed to approve payment of £673.88 to Clerk for: July-Sept 2017 Salary, (£615.00), Mileage (£16.20) and other Expenses (£42.68).
    3. The Bank Reconciliation at 30th September 2017 was approved.
    4. The Budget Analysis for Quarter 2 2017/18 was reviewed.
    5. e) A resolution was passed to approve the donation to Village Hall Committee regarding the Village Hall Insurance:
      • £37.28 to increase buildings cover to £630,000 until 17th November 2017 renewal.
      • £1477.06 Renewal premium for year ended 16/11/2018.
    6. A resolution was passed to approve payment of the following invoices:
      • Grant Thornton – 2017 Audit Fee (£200.00+VAT £40.00) £240.00
      • N Chapman – reimbursement for “No Camping” sign” (£9.07+VAT£1.81) £10.88. NC has received an invoice from AED for £58.80. This has been queried, as there was no explanation for the invoice, however, no response has been received.
    7. FOOTPATHS
      1. The Chairman reported that the new gate had been erected on Y10/6.
      2. The Chairman has contacted SCC asking if they are willing to supply another gate to replace another broken stile on Y10/6.
      3. There were no other issues
    8. PARISH RANGER SCHEME
      1. The following tasks had been carried out on 09/10/2017:
        • Primrose Hill Font Lane end strimmed and cleared
        • Village Hall doors rubbed down and stain
        • Village signs strimmed around
        • Cleaned around church wall and clear leaves up around village hall
        • Clear around triangle and on stone wall adjacent triangle
        • Strimmed Moor Lane footpath by shop + clean ditch
      2. The following tasks are on the Ranger’s list:
        • Repaint the Fingerpost signs
    9. CORRESPONDENCE
      1. SALC AGM. Saturday 28th October, 9.30am-3.00pm. The Edgar Hall, Somerton Business Park, Bancombe Road, Somerton.
    10. VILLAGE HALL COMMITTEE UPDATE
      Paul Vallis reported that the recent film presentation was well received. A list of work to be done will eventually be compiled and will be shared with the PC.
    11. MATTERS OF REPORT & ITEMS FOR NEXT MEETING
      1. Chairman: Nothing to report
      2. Councillors: CM had a query from a parishioner asking if the PC had a policy for dealing with stray cats. It was suggested that they contact the Cats Protection group.
      3. Clerk: Nothing to report.
    12. DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING & CLOSURE
      The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 21st November 2017 in the Village Hall at 7.30pm. The meeting closed at 8.40pm.
     

    After the meeting there was an opportunity for the public to speak:

    No items were brought for discussion.

 

Links to Previous Minutes

2017
January February March April May June July August September
October
2016
January February March April May June July August September October November
2015
January February March April May June July August September October November
2014
January February March April May June July August September October November December
2013
January February March April May June July August September October November December
2012
January February March April May June July August September October October-(extra) November
2011
January February March April May June July August September October November