Links to Previous Minutes
MINUTES OF MEETING OF HARDINGTON MANDEVILLE PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON TUESDAY 20th JUNE 2017 IN THE VILLAGE HALL

Members are reminded that the Council has a general duty to consider the following matters in the exercise of any of its functions - Equal Opportunities (race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status & any disability); Crime & Disorder, Health & Safety and Human Rights.
Nancy Chapman, Parish Clerk

PRESENT

Robin Carpenter (Chairman), Andy Webb, Clare Middleton, Ernest Kong, Malcolm White, Paul Vallis, Bill Turner, Gina Seaton (District Councillor) and Mark Keating (County Councillor).

IN ATTENDANCE

Nancy Chapman (Parish Clerk) and 8 member of the public.

Before the meeting commenced there was an opportunity for the public to speak:
Peter Bysouth read the following statement:

“At the end of the May Parish Council meeting I read a statement about criticisms and accusations made at the Village Hall's AGM from people I was careful to describe as 'members of the Hardington Players Group'. I was aware that they may not have represented the views of the Players Group as a whole. I am happy to report that other members of the Players have contacted me to let me know this is the case.”

Jim Hawkins spoke regarding his application to site a log cabin and two shepherd huts on land on Barry Lane. As there is currently no B&B accommodation in the village and also because Cott Farm has become a wedding venue, he felt that there was a justified need in the area. The shepherd huts would contain one double bed and the cabin only has one bedroom and so it would be unlikely to attract couples with children. It would be a staged development (with a maximum of 3 units). He would continue to graze sheep on the land. Jim believes very few people would actually be able to see the cabin or huts from their homes.
  1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
    None.
  2. MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 16th JUNE 2017 (Already Circulated)
    The minutes for May were approved and signed by the Chairman as correct records of the meeting.
  3. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST.
    There were no declarations of interest.
  4. MATTERS OF REPORT ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MINUTES.
    The Chairman reported that he had contacted Shepperton Homes regarding the Moor End Nursery site development and their latest plan was that site demolition would begin in November, with the aim to start building early next year.
  5. COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS' REPORTS (BY INVITATION)
    Mark Keating read highlights from his circulated report. The subject of verge cutting was discussed, as once again the overgrown verges in the village have resulted in an increased traffic hazard. It was agreed the Clerk would contact SCC Highways to determine when the verges are to be cut.

    A councilor commented that the hedges at Hill End, were very overgrown and overhanging the road on both sides. The Clerk agreed to write letters to the landowners requesting that they cut back their hedges.

    Gina Seaton read out her previously circulated report.
  6. PLANNING AND PLANNING APPLICATIONS
    1. The following application was received:
      1. App no:17/02299/FUL The demolition of existing garage, lean to, coalbunker and summerhouse and the erection of a replacement garage/workshop. Location: Grass Hill, High Street, Hardington Mandeville. Applicant: Mr Keith Blackwell. There were no objections.
      2. App no: 17/02073/FUL The change of use of land for the stationing of a log cabin and two shepherd huts. Location: Land OS 4985 Part Barry Lane, Hardington Mandeville. Applicant Mr J Hawkins. A councilor raised concerns that the planning office may require permanent lighting such as that required at the Stables caravan park. The applicant responded that the only requirement stipulated by the planning officer was that the track was made of wood chippings. There were no objections.
    2. The following application was received after publication of this agenda:
      1. App nos: 17/02037/LBC and 17/02036/FUL The removal and rebuilding of natural stone wall, engineering works to level garden, proper mounting/ siting of oil tank (implemented). Location: Corner Cottage, Bishops Lane. Applicant: Mr Gareth Llewellyn. There were no objections.
    3. The following result of a previous application was received:
    4. App no:17/02008/FUL Alterations and the erection of a single storey side extension to dwellinghouse. Location: Hill End Cottage, Hill End. Applicant: Mr Karl Newman. Approved with standard conditions.
    5. There were no other results of previous applications received after publication of this agenda.
    6. The Chairman read out a letter from Andrew Collins received in response to the PC’s letter querying the requirement to consult the PC on parish border applications. The letter stated that there is no formal requirement to consult with adjoining Parish Councils. As courtesy, they consult with neighbouring parishes where there are significant proposals near the boundary. This is a judgement call depending on the nature of the proposals and proximity to the boundary. All applications have a site notice and PC’s can subscribe to the weekly list of applications as identified by the subscriber.
    7. There were no other planning issues.
  7. HIGHWAYS
    1. Neil stated there were no major new issues in his monthly report.
    2. Neil has received two quotes for creating a hard-standing for a disabled parking bay behind the Church. One from Adam Taylor for £1700 + VAT and one from Firestone for £3980 + VAT (includes curbstones). Given the amount was over £500 a third quote would be needed under PC rules. Neil agreed to obtain a third quote for the work and also to contact Natalie Fortt to determine if there are any grant options to help fund the work.
    3. There were no other issues.
  8. PARISH PLAN
    1. Tim Watkins has researched several website hosts and felt Siteground had the best reviews. Brian had also recommended this one. The cost is initially discounted at £2.75/month excluding VAT. There were several different payment options. In order to get the ball-rolling, a resolution was passed to approve expenditure of up to £10/month on website hosting.
    2. A resolution was passed delegating the organisation of Village Carnival week (9th July – 15th July) to Jack Clotworthy, on behalf of the Parish Council (and events will therefore be covered by the PC Insurance). All proceeds will be donated to the Village Hall. Peter Bysouth commented that as the PC is delegating to a sub-committee as such, that the PC’s standing orders required the PC to define the sub-committee’s terms of reference. After discussion it was viewed that this would not affect the insurance cover, but should be addressed for future events.
    3. There were no other issues.
  9. COMMUNITY FIELD
    1. While it had already been decided that a Public Space Protection Order (PSPO) to encourage people to keep dogs under control maybe difficult to implement and enforce, Andy Webb felt that improved signage could still make a difference. Following discussion it was agreed that Andy would research a design and purchase further signs.
    2. The Chairman reported that he had contacted Chris Cooper to request the mowing team move the tables and chairs to cut the grass underneath them when mowing (as agreed at the first site meeting).
    3. Following an overnight camp at the weekend, the bins were overflowing with rubbish that needed clearing. The Chairman has asked Chris Cooper to ensure it is all collected. It was agreed to put a note in the messenger that overnight camping is prohibited and to also request that large quantities of rubbish and recyclables are taken away.
    4. The Chairman reported that the Zip wire has developed a fault which prevents it flowing freely. He has received a quote for a site visit by the manufacturers, Playdale for £105 plus VAT. If possible they will make the repair during this visit. If the mechanism requires replacing it is likely to cost over £500. A resolution was passed to approve the site visit.
    5. There were no other issues.
  10. RISK MANAGEMENT
    1. The Chairman read out the following statement in response to Peter Bysouth’s statement at May’s PC Meeting:

      “You will remember the comments made by Peter Bysouth during the May meeting. Since his statement further criticisms have been made. I am 100% sure that the people who give their time freely and willingly to manage and run this invaluable village asset are doing an excellent job, with the best interests of the village in mind, and provide us with a hall to be proud of. I would like to propose that the Parish Council give a vote of confidence in the work of the village hall committee, and our sincere thanks for all the hard work that they do.”

    2. The members of the Parish Council agreed this statement.
    3. There were no other issues.
  11. FINANCE
    1. The Chairman reported that the Annual Return for 2017 has been published and submitted to the external auditor.
    2. The Period of exercise of public rights has been advertised and will run from 12/06/2017 – 24/07/17.
    3. The Clerk’s hours for May (22 hours) were approved.
  12. FOOTPATHS
    1. Les Braunton has offered to supply a gate to replace the broken stile on Y10/6 (at the border between Nick Lunt land and Liz Raymont’s land).
    2. There were no other issues.
  13. PARISH RANGER SCHEME
    1. The Clerk report that despite Nick Allen stating he would “try harder” with his progress updates and despite emailing a week ago for a progress update, none had been received! The Chairman reported that a different Ranger had attended the Parish this month, as Darren was unwell. The footpath between Moor Lane and the Village Shop had been strimmed, as well as the bridleway that runs alongside the Community Field towards Moor Lane. The ditch between Moor Lane and the Village Shop had also been dug out.
    2. The following tasks were added to the Ranger’s list:
    3. Strim around village road signs
    4. Strim the South end of footpath Y10/4 near St James Terrace.
    5. Tidy area down the side of the Village Hall.
  14. CORRESPONDENCE
    1. Notice for the next 2 Community Forum meetings has been received: Monday 3rd July 2017 at 9.30am -12.00 and Monday 6th November 2017 at 9.30am -12.00 (both to be held in The Council Offices, Main Committee Room, Brympton Way, Yeovil).
    2. Community Led Housing Event: 28th June 2017, 7.00pm Westlands Entertainment Venue.
  15. MATTERS OF REPORT & ITEMS FOR NEXT MEETING
    1. Chairman: Nothing to report.
    2. Councillors: Nothing to report.
    3. Clerk: Nothing to report.
  16. DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING & CLOSURE
    The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 18th July 2017 in the Village Hall at 7.30pm. The meeting closed at 9.25pm.
 

After the meeting there was an opportunity for the public to speak:

On behalf on the VHC, Peter Bysouth thanked the PC for their vote of confidence and support and would report it back to the members at their next meeting.

A member of Hardington Players clarified that comments made at the VHC AGM by some people that happened to members of Hardington Players were not made on behalf of the Hardington Players Group and that these comments should not be associated with the Hardington Player’s group.

 

Links to Previous Minutes

2021
January February March April May June July August September October
2020
January February March May June July August September October
November
2019
January February March April May June July August September October
November
2018
January February March April May June July August September October November
2017
January February March April May June July August September October November
2016
January February March April May June July August September October November
2015
January February March April May June July August September October November
2014
January February March April May June July August September October November December
2013
January February March April May June July August September October November December
2012
January February March April May June July August September October October-(extra) November
2011
January February March April May June July August September October November