This is a draft document
Links to Previous Minutes
MINUTES OF MEETING OF HARDINGTON MANDEVILLE PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON TUESDAY 15th AUGUST 2017 IN THE VILLAGE HALL

Members are reminded that the Council has a general duty to consider the following matters in the exercise of any of its functions - Equal Opportunities (race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status & any disability); Crime & Disorder, Health & Safety and Human Rights.
Nancy Chapman, Parish Clerk

PRESENT

Robin Carpenter (Chairman), Malcolm White, Andy Webb, Clare Middleton, Ernest Kong, Paul Vallis, Bill Turner, Gina Seaton (District Councillor), Cathy Bakewell (District Councillor) and Mark Keating (County Councillor).

IN ATTENDANCE

Nancy Chapman (Parish Clerk) and 4 members of the public.

Before the meeting commenced there was an opportunity for the public to speak:

  1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
    None.
  2. MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 20th JUNE 2017 (Already Circulated)
    The minutes for July were approved and signed by the Chairman as correct records of the meeting.
  3. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST.
    There were no declarations of interest.
  4. MATTERS OF REPORT ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MINUTES.
    None.
  5. COUNTY AND DISTRICT COUNCILLORS' REPORTS (BY INVITATION)
    Cathy Bakewell reported that there was no Area South meeting in August. A decision has been made to no longer accept cash payments for waste disposal fees at the South Somerset recycling sites- only card payments will be accepted in the future.

    Mark Keating and Gina Seatons’ reports had been previously circulated.

  6. PLANNING AND PLANNING APPLICATIONS
    1. The following application was received:
      1. App no:17/02836/FUL Removal of existing car port and the erection of a replacement double garage, roof conversion and the erection of a two-storey side extension to dwellinghouse. Location: Oakenlea, West Coker Hill. Applicants: Mr & Mrs A King. There were no objections.
    2. There were no new planning applications received after publication of the agenda.
    3. The following result of a previous application was received:
      1. App no:17/02299/FUL The demolition of existing garage, lean to, coalbunker and summerhouse and the erection of a replacement garage/workshop. Location: Grass Hill, High Street, Hardington Mandeville. Applicant: Mr Keith Blackwell. Approved with conditions.
      2. App nos: 17/02037/LBC and 17/02036/FUL The removal and rebuilding of natural stone wall, engineering works to level garden, proper mounting/ siting of oil tank (implemented). Location: Corner Cottage, Bishops Lane. Applicant: Mr Gareth Llewellyn. Approved with conditions.
    4. There were no other results of previous applications received after publication of this agenda.
    5. There were no other planning issues.
  7. HIGHWAYS
    1. Neil reported that the fence crossing Chinnock Brook at the bottom of North Lane was collapsing and queried if this way SCC Highways responsibility. Mark Keating advised Neil to contact bridges.somerset.co.uk as this structure may be registered with them.
    2. Neil has investigated possible sources of funding for creating a hard-standing for a disabled parking bay behind the Church. The Beaverbrook foundation and SCC were both possible options, but these usually require a partial financial donation from the Parish Council. The Parish Council passed a resolution to fund not less than 25% of the project at this stage. The area is approximately 30metres by 2 meters. There is a drain close-by to the area and so providing adequate drainage should be quite straight-forward. Neil also agreed to obtain and define a more detailed specification of the work required to ensure it is carried out to Council requirements and so that a more accurate comparison can be made when selecting a contractor for the work.
    3. Neil is still awaiting a response from SCC Highways for a suggested supplier for a synthetic sign to replace the missing finger of the signpost at the junction of Barry Lane and Penn Lane.
    4. A parishioner has emailed the Clerk stating the replacement HGV sign at the Hill End crossroads, intended to prevent large vehicles from driving up West Coker Hill Lane, has been positioned incorrectly. It now faces towards the village and cannot be read by vehicles as they approach from the A30. Neil agreed to contact SCC to question this positioning.
    5. Mike Fear had acknowledged that the hedge trimming was of poor quality in some areas of the village but did not feel it warranted a second cut. The PC’s view was that the contractor should not be paid in full if the job has not been done to a high enough standard. Neil agreed to relay this to Mike Fear.
  8. PARISH PLAN
    1. Tim Watkins has re-hosted the website with Siteground and continues to work with Brian on the website handover.
    2. The Chairman read out the article he has drafted for the Messenger providing information on Community Land trusts and gauging demand for affordable housing within the village. Following discussion, the article was approved with a minor amendment to state that “the best way would “probably” be the formation of a CLT”.
    3. There were no other issues.
  9. COMMUNITY FIELD
    1. Two signs to state that owners can be fined if they do not keep their dogs on leads, or do not clear up after them, have been purchased. The Chairman agreed to erect the signs at the Community Field. The Clerk stated that there were suitable “No camping” signs available on Amazon for £11. Claire Middleton questioned whether further signs were necessary. The camping had only taken place on two occasions, by the same people who have been informed this is not allowed. It was agreed not to purchase a “no camping” sign at this time.
    2. The Chairman has written to Chris Cooper stating that he felt that there had been an excessive interval between cuts leading to an untidy appearance with large amounts of dead grass on the surface. The weedkiller treatment had not been carried out as requested, so that over 50% of the paths and cycle track are now covered with weeds. Also the mowers are still not moving the seats and tables so that the area covered can also be cut. Stephen Fox had replied in Chris’s absence stating he would ensure the grass is mowed again to tidy it up. The Clerk stated that Nick Allen had reported that the weedkilling had been carried out on the 14th August.
    3. The Chairman reported that the wild-flower area requires topping. Malcolm White agreed to have a look at this to see if he could arrange for this to be done.
  10. RISK MANAGEMENT
    1. It was agreed the draft Street Fayre Constitution would be circulated for review by all councilors, for approval at September’s meeting.
    2. A parishioner has written to the Parish Council stating they feel the VHC minutes should be made available to the Parish Council each month (the VHC meetings are closed to the public). Paul Vallis read out a statement from the Community Council for Somerset stating that there is no legal requirement for the minutes to be made public and a verbal report is all that is required. Following discussion it was agreed that requesting the VHC minutes was not necessary, but that a new agenda item would be added to the PC agenda to ensure a monthly report is received from the VHC (either verbally from Paul Vallis, or by substitute or email in his absence).
  11. FINANCE
    1. The Clerk's hours for July (21 hours) were approved.
    2. The Grant Thornton external audit has been completed. There were no comments made. The Notice of Conclusion of Audit will be published on the website in the next few weeks.
    3. A resolution was passed to approve payment of the following invoices: - SSDC – Mark out football pitch (£45.00+VAT£9.00) £54.00 - Tim Watkins – reimbursement for 3 years website hosting (£99+VAT£19.80) £118.80 - John Burton & Sons ltd – Community Field Signs (£55.00+VAT£11.00) £66.00
  12. FOOTPATHS
    1. There were no new issues.
  13. PARISH RANGER SCHEME
    1. The following tasks had been carried out on 14/08/2017:
      • Strim path Moor Lane to shop
      • Clear ditch and cut back hedge on Moor Lane
      • Strim Bridleway alongside of the community field
      • Spray community field path and car park.
    2. No new tasks were added to the Ranger’s list.
    3. Some councilors raised further concerns that they did not feel the Ranger scheme is providing value-for-money. They felt that employing local workers maybe more effective. It was agreed to investigate what implications there might be if this route is followed.

    Following a recent Village Hall fire-risk assessment, improvement work needs to be carried out as there is currently no way of detecting a fire and no way of alerting people there is a fire. Quotes were being obtained for a mains-powered detection and alarm system, but this would involve a considerable cost. An alternative option would be to install smoke detectors. Brad Atkinson has agreed to obtain these and position them as an interim solution, while other options are investigated.
  14. CORRESPONDENCE
    1. Training for Town & Parish Councillors in responding to planning applications. Extra date of 12th October in addition to Thursday 5th October, 2017, 6.30pm, SSDC Council Offices.
    2. VHC See and Say Evening - Friday 8th September, 7.30pm at the Village Hall.
  15. MATTERS OF REPORT & ITEMS FOR NEXT MEETING
    1. Chairman: Nothing to report.
    2. Councillors: Nothing to report.
    3. Clerk: Nothing to report.
  16. DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING & CLOSURE
    The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 19th September 2017 in the Village Hall at 7.30pm. The meeting closed at 9.14pm.
 

After the meeting there was an opportunity for the public to speak:

Peter Bysouth informed the PC that the draft Street Fayre Constitution had been taken from the Charity Commission website. Peter gave an update on the VHC: - Hardington VHC have recently received an interesting presentation from Montacute VHC members, whose hall has required a lot of improvement work. They had also received a survey by Access-for-all, regarding use of the hall by the disabled. - the VHC is currently reviewing its conditions of hire. - Smoke alarms have been fitted to the hall while a mains-powered system is being investigated.

 

Links to Previous Minutes

2017
January February March April May June July August
2016
January February March April May June July August September October November
2015
January February March April May June July August September October November
2014
January February March April May June July August September October November December
2013
January February March April May June July August September October November December
2012
January February March April May June July August September October October-(extra) November
2011
January February March April May June July August September October November