Links to Previous Minutes

MINUTES OF MEETING OF HARDINGTON MANDEVILLE PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON TUESDAY 20th SEPTEMBER 2016
IN THE VILLAGE HALL

Members are reminded that the Council has a general duty to consider the following matters in the exercise of any of its functions - Equal Opportunities (race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status & any disability); Crime & Disorder, Health & Safety and Human Rights.
Nancy Chapman, Parish Clerk

PRESENT

Robin Carpenter (Chairman), Ernest Kong, Clare Middleton, Malcolm White, Paul Vallis, Bill Turner, and Gina Seaton (District Councillor).

IN ATTENDANCE

Nancy Chapman (Parish Clerk) and 3 members of the public.

Before the meeting commenced there was an opportunity for the public to speak.

A Parishioner spoke to state himself and several other parishioners are concerned about the area of neglect around the Mandeville Arms. The garden is overgrown and it is becoming an eyesore. They would like to ask the Parish Council to consider writing to the owner to ask his what his intentions for the pub are. The Chairman agreed to put this on the agenda for October's meeting.

A Parishioner asked if the Parish Council knew any details of the firm that is purchasing the Moor End Nursery site. Malcolm White replied that James White may be able to provide further information.

  1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
    Apologies were received from Andy Webb, Cathy Bakewell (District Councillor) and Marcus Fysh.
  2. MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 16th AUGUST 2016 (Already Circulated)
    The minutes for August were approved and signed by the Chairman as correct records of the meeting.
  3. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST.
    Malcolm White declared an interest in item 7a) ii)App No: 16/03794/FUL.
  4. MATTERS OF REPORT ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MINUTES.
    None.
  5. SSDC MOTION CONDEMNING ANY FORM OF RACISM, INTOLERANCE, BIGOTRY OR XENOPHOBIA.
    The Chairman read out the following motion as proposed by SSDC for adoption by all Parish Councils:
    "In the wake of the recent killing of Jo Cox MP and the less savoury rhetoric of some in the referendum campaign, this Council wishes to make it clear that we, the councillors, are proud to represent a vibrant and diverse community. We totally condemn any form of racism, intolerance, bigotry or xenophobia. Hate crimes have no place in our society and we will do all we can to prevent them. The residents of South Somerset, whatever their gender, race, creed, age, colour or sexual orientation are treated equally.
    And further, that the Council wish to send a clear message stating that:
    We are proud to live in a diverse and tolerant society. Racism, xenophobia and hate crimes have no place in our country. Our council condemns racism, xenophobia and hate crimes unequivocally. We will not allow hate to become acceptable. We will work to ensure that local bodies and programmes have the support and resources they need to fight and prevent racism and xenophobia. We reassure all people living in this area that they are valued members of our community."
     
    A resolution was then passed confirming the Parish Council's commitment to this statement.
  6. DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLOR'S REPORTS (BY INVITATION)
    The Chairman read out Cathy Bakewell's report. This included details of several events being held in the Coker Ward for Somerset Art Works (17th Sept-2nd October). Cathy also highlighted that much discussion has been taking place regarding devolution locally and nationally.
  7. PLANNING AND PLANNING APPLICATIONS
    1. Planning applications received:
      1. App no: 16/03529/FUL The erection of a single storey rear extension to dwellinghouse. Location: Spring Cottage, High Street. Applicant: Mr Martin Tizard. There were no objections.
        Malcolm White left the meeting.
      2. App no: 16/03794/FUL The erection of a new dairy. Location: Royal Oak Farm, Moor Lane. Applicant: M & S White & Son Ltd. The Chairman read a statement from Malcolm White giving their justification for wanting to update and modernise the dairy. There were no objections.
        Malcolm White returned to the meeting.
    2. There were no planning applications received after publication of this agenda.
    3. There were no results of previous applications received after publication of this agenda.
    4. The Chairman reported details of the recent WoodenTop Farm enforcement notice appeal.
    5. There were no other planning issues.
  8. HIGHWAYS
    1. Neil reported that there were just a few minor road surface defects in his report this month.
    2. A parishioner has volunteered to paint the village signposts. The Chairman is investigating the purchase of suitable paint for the job.
    3. Paul Vallis mentioned that the drains on Primrose Hill were very blocked and wondered if this could be resolved before we get any heavy rain. Mark Keating reported that the SSDC Streetscene team had offered to clear those in Haselbury for £11 a drain. Neil agreed to investigate this option.
  9. PARISH PLAN
    1. There were no current issues.
  10. COMMUNITY FIELD
    1. The Annual Playground Inspection and Risk Assessment Report have been received. The Chairman has since completed a number of maintenance actions to address those issues highlighted in the report. These included tightening the bolts on the overhead grip bars, compacting soil around the loose posts, increasing the zip wire tension, compacting the posts around the loose support logs and covering all the exposed wooden laths.
    2. Jack Clotworthy has written to the PC asking permission to run the village fireworks display in the Community field, with the same format as last year. While there is no BBQ planned, they would like to have small fires in Fire pits or Chimneas with fencing around them to provide atmosphere and warmth. The Parish Council passed a resolution to approve this. The clerk agreed to contact the insurance company to enquire about the use of firepits and chimneas.
    3. Bill Turner offered to move the dog litter bin currently located close to the BBQ to a more suitable place, possibly near the small pedestrian gate.
    4. It was agreed a list of conditions was required for private events being held at the Community Field in order to avoid prevent confusion or misunderstandings. Following discussion, the agreed conditions were as follows:
      • The use of the field for events such as private receptions will only be allowed for residents of the parish of Hardington Mandeville, at the discretion of the parish council.
      • The field will remain available to members of the public at all times.
      • Marquees and associated structures shall be limited to the top half of the football area, so that ball games can still be played on the lower, southern half. (See map)
      • The erection of marquees and associated structures must be done within 48hrs of the event, and removed on the next working day after the event.
      • The responsibility for relevant insurance and licences lies with the event organizer.
      • Ensure that bands and discos do not play after midnight.
      • The Parish Council will expect a donation for each use. A figure of £500 (negotiable) for large events was suggested.
  11. RISK MANAGEMENT
    1. Nick Lunt gave details of his recent discussion with a representative of Came & Company, who provide both the PC and VHC insurance. A lengthy discussion then took place regarding the insurance structure and cover provided.
  12. FINANCE
    1. The Clerk's hours for August (19 hours) were approved.
    2. A Resolution was passed to approve the following payments:
      • SSDC Annual Playground Inspection & Risk Assessment (£78.50 + VAT £15.70) £97.20
      • N Chapman – Re-imbursement for PC Laptop & Software (£381.66 + VAT £76.33) £457.99
      • Grant Thornton UK LLP External Audit Fee (£100 + VAT £20) £120.00
    3. The Chairman read out the Auditors comments following completion of the External Audit. There were 2 minor comments relating to order of signing of the Annual Governance Statement and the incorrect break sown of the Precept and CTSG received in boxes 2 and 3. The notice of Conclusion of Audit has now been published on the website and displayed on noticeboards.
  13. FOOTPATHS
    1. The Chairman is still waiting for further update regarding required maintenance to the path between the Post Office and Moor Lane (Y10/51).
    2. The Ranger has been asked to install a dog slide in the stile on Y10/9 at the top of steps on Pig Hill with permission of the landowner.
    3. A new pedestrian gate has been requested at the junction of Y9/2 and 9/4.
  14. PARISH RANGER SCHEME
    1. The new supervisor for the ranger scheme is Nick Allen (nick.allen@southsomerset.gov.uk 07768376235). Stephen Fox will continue to oversee the scheme at a higher level.
    2. The following task was added to the Ranger's list of jobs:
      • Install a dog slide in the stile on Y10/9 at the top of steps on Pig Hill.
    3. The Parish Council thanked Malcolm and James White for clearing the overgrown area of bridleway between Moor Lane and the Community Field.
  15. CORRESPONDENCE
    1. The Parish Council discussed their answers for the NALC Community Led Housing Survey. The Chairman agreed to feedback the answers online.
    2. A letter has been received from Somerset Libraries Service giving notice that they are withdrawing their Mobile Library services to the High Street and Hardington Marsh due to lack of use. The stop at Hill End will be retained.
  16. MATTERS OF REPORT & ITEMS FOR NEXT MEETING
    1. Chairman: Nothing to report.
    2. Councillors: Nothing to report.
    3. Clerk: Nothing to report.
  17. DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING & CLOSURE
    The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 18th October 2016 at 7.30 p.m. in the Village Hall. The meeting closed at 9.14pm.
 

Links to Previous Minutes

2021
January February March April May June July August September October
2020
January February March May June July August September October
November
2019
January February March April May June July August September October
November
2018
January February March April May June July August September October November
2017
January February March April May June July August September October November
2016
January February March April May June July August September October November
2015
January February March April May June July August September October November
2014
January February March April May June July August September October November December
2013
January February March April May June July August September October November December
2012
January February March April May June July August September October October-(extra) November
2011
January February March April May June July August September October November