Links to Previous Minutes

MINUTES OF MEETING OF HARDINGTON MANDEVILLE PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON TUESDAY 19th JULY 2016
IN THE VILLAGE HALL

Members are reminded that the Council has a general duty to consider the following matters in the exercise of any of its functions - Equal Opportunities (race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status & any disability); Crime & Disorder, Health & Safety and Human Rights.
Nancy Chapman, Parish Clerk

PRESENT

Robin Carpenter (Chairman), Andy Webb, Malcolm White, Ernest Kong, Paul Vallis, Clare Middleton, Bill Turner and Gina Seaton (District Councillor).

IN ATTENDANCE

Nancy Chapman (Parish Clerk) and 11 members of the public.

Before the meeting commenced there was an opportunity for the public to speak.

Residents of West Coker Hill expressed concerns and objections to the planning application for 2 additional mobile homes and 2 hard standings for touring caravans at The Stables on Partway Lane. One of the main concerns was that when the original application was approved in Sept 2002, a clause was included stating that only "Mrs Small, her husband and children and Mrs Small's father and mother-in-law and nobody else whosoever" shall occupy the site. The parishioner was concerned that this new application meant the site is moving away from the original planning intent for one family. Other main concerns related to the poor access to the site and increase in traffic on a very narrow road with few passing places.
Mark Keating spoke to introduce himself and informed the Parish Council that he will now be assisting Marcus Fysh in County Council matters, and so any future issues or queries can be directed to him.

  1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
    Apologies were received from Marcus Fysh.
  2. MINUTES OF THE MEETING HELD ON 21st JUNE 2016 (Already Circulated)
    The minutes for June were approved and signed by the Chairman as correct records of the meeting.
  3. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST.
    None.
  4. MATTERS OF REPORT ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MINUTES.
    The Chairman, Vice Chairman and Clare Middleton are away for the August meeting. The other 4 Councillors are able to attend and so the meeting shall be quorate. Ernest agreed to chair the August meeting.
  5. DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS' REPORTS (BY INVITATION)
    Gina Seaton summarised several subjects of interest from the Area South Committee meeting including the progress update on the Westland Leisure Complex, the latest Street Scene Service report from Chris Cooper (which includes the Ranger Scheme), and the Community Offices Update by Lisa Davis. The Community Office for the Coker Ward is located at Petters Ways and offers many services including help and guidance on Housing and Council Tax benefits, Council Tax, Home Finder, Waste and recycling, Street Scene, Community Protection, Horticulture, Planning and Building Control and Community Safety. The Play and Youth Facilities Officer, Rob Parr spoke about the Lyde Road Bike Festival and other recent youth projects.
  6. PLANNING AND PLANNING APPLICATIONS
    1. Planning applications received:
      App no: 16/02372/FUL The siting of 2 additional permanent mobile homes, 2 touring caravans for nomadic use, erection of toilet/laundry room and formation of hard standing at The Stables, West Coker Hill, West Coker. Applicant: Mr and Mrs Robert and Abigail Small.
      The SSDC planning department have already stated their support for this application. It was felt the PC could not object in principle. However, it was agreed a letter should be written highlighting concerns regarding sustainability, increased density on the site and excessive external flood-lighting. The PC would also like to ask SSDC to include the clause given in the original application restricting occupation of the site to members of the applicant's family.
    2. There were no planning applications received after publication of the agenda.
    3. Results of previous applications:
      App No: App no: 15/05598/FUL Demolition of existing bungalow and erection of 10 dwellings together with associated landscaping, access and infrastructure at Moor End Nursery, Moor Lane, Hardington Mandeville. Applicant: Halsall Homes. Application approved with conditions. This permission has now been granted following the completion of the S.106 agreement.
    4. There were no results of previous applications received after publication of the agenda.
  7. HIGHWAYS
    1. Neil reported that he had been informed that the verges in the village would be cut by 29th July. It was felt that this is far too late in the year, and resulted in a driving hazard. Neil agreed to write a letter to this effect to SCC Highways. Neil has also been chasing up the possibility of a supply of road scalpings to fill lay-by and road-edge holes.
      Neil has received a quotation for maintaining and painting the village sign-posts that need attention. This was from the same contractor that has recently painted the East Coker Signs. The quote was for £795 in total. The Clerk is still waiting to hear if this work could be carried out by the Ranger. Another option was for someone from within the village with a bit of spare time to carry out the work. It was agreed to put a note in the Messenger to determine if there are any willing volunteers!
  8. COKER COUNCILS FORUM
    1. The Chairman gave a summary of the recent meeting. The PC then completed the Forum Structure Survey.
    2. Attendees of the Forum felt that the County Councillor Representative was not sufficiently meeting his duties and that his communication was poor. As Mark Keating has now agreed to assist in these duties, this problem may be resolved for future issues.
    3. The subject of the Yeovil Police Station closure was discussed. The PC feels that this would be a massive loss to the town. The Clerk agreed to write a letter to this effect.
    4. The Chairman agreed to pass on details of local events to the Forum for increased publicity.
  9. PARISH PLAN
    1. The Clerk reported that the running costs for supplying internet access at West Coker Village Hall were approximately £40 per month. As little interest for internet provision at Hardington Village Hall had been received it was decided the running costs could not be justified at this time.
    2. The Parish Council discussed the CPRE Yeovil Green Belt Campaign and their paper 'Case for a Yeovil Green Belt'. The PC resolved to give their support in principle to this campaign. The Clerk agreed to write to CPRE to inform them of this. The Chairman agreed to include details of the campaign in the Messenger.
  10. COMMUNITY FIELD
    1. It was confirmed that permission has already been given for the MacLean/Burgess wedding reception to be held at the Community Field on 17th September, 2016. The Clerk read out an email from the MacLean Family asking if the reception music could be played until 1am. The PC's view was that midnight is the only reasonable time for the music to be stopped in order to prevent excessive noise nuisance to nearby residents. It was agreed that the amount of donation for use of the community field for wedding receptions and similar events, should be left to the generosity of the user and not stipulated.
  11. RISK MANAGEMENT
    1. Following Internal Audit comments regarding the structure of the PC and VHC insurances, it was agreed to take up Nick Lunt's offer to investigate this further. The Clerk agreed to contact Nick with the necessary details.
  12. FINANCE
    1. The Clerk's hours for June (21 hours) were approved.
    2. The Bank Reconciliation at 31st June 2016 was approved.
    3. The Budget Analysis for Quarter 1 2016/17 was reviewed.
    4. A resolution was passed to approve payment of £687.80 to Clerk for:
      Apr-June 2016 Salary (£655.00), Mileage (£17.55), Other Expenses (£15.25).
    5. A resolution was passed to pay the following invoice:
      SSDC Ranger Scheme Quarter 1 (£127.50 + VAT £25.50) £153.00
  13. FOOTPATHS
    1. The Chairman is still waiting for further update regarding required maintenance to the path between the Post Office and Moor Lane (Y10/51).
    2. The Chairman thanked Simon Smith for strimming the overgrown path from Moor Lane to the woods (Y10/4).
  14. PARISH RANGER SCHEME
    The Chairman agreed to contact Stephen Fox to once again request regular progress updates from the Ranger Scheme. The following tasks were added to the Ranger's list of jobs:
    • Stile at location 351308/111546 (near stable building) requires repairing.
    • Stile at location 351677/111700 (Near Eastfield Cottage) requires complete rebuild.
  15. CORRESPONDENCE
    1. Haselbury Plucknett Phone Box Defibrillator Official Opening. 13th August 3pm at the Village School/Phone Box.
    2. SSC learning, listening Changing Survey. Having reviewed this survey, the chairman felt it was poorly constructed. It was therefore decided that the PC would not complete this form collectively. Members were still welcome to complete the survey as individuals if they so wished.
  16. MATTERS OF REPORT & ITEMS FOR NEXT MEETING
    1. Chairman: Nothing to report.
    2. Councillors: Nothing to report.
    3. Clerk: Nothing to report.
  17. DATE AND TIME OF NEXT MEETING & CLOSURE
    The next meeting will be held on Tuesday 16th August 2016 at 7.30pm in the Village Hall. The meeting closed at 8.48pm.
 

Links to Previous Minutes

2022
January February March April May
2021
January February March April May June July August September October
November
2020
January February March May June July August September October
November
2019
January February March April May June July August September October
November
2018
January February March April May June July August September October November
2017
January February March April May June July August September October November
2016
January February March April May June July August September October November
2015
January February March April May June July August September October November
2014
January February March April May June July August September October November December
2013
January February March April May June July August September October November December
2012
January February March April May June July August September October October-(extra) November
2011
January February March April May June July August September October November