The Minutes of the previous meeting (July 2013)

MINUTES OF MEETING OF HARDINGTON MANDEVILLE PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON 20th AUGUST 2013 AT 7.30pm
IN THE VILLAGE HALL

Members were reminded that the Council has a general duty to consider the following matters in the exercise of any of its functions - Equal Opportunities (race, gender, sexual orientation, marital status & any disability); Crime & Disorder, Health & Safety and Human Rights.
Nancy Chapman, Parish Clerk

PRESENT

Robin Carpenter (Chairman), Peter Bysouth, Bill Turner, Keith Blackwell, Malcolm White, Paul Vallis, Cathy Bakewell (District Councillor) and Gina Seaton (District Councillor).

IN ATTENDANCE

Nancy Chapman (Parish Clerk) and 3 members of the public.

Before the meeting there was an opportunity for the public to speak.

On behalf of the parish council, the Chairman congratulated Cathy Bakewell on being chosen to become a Baroness.

Stewart Ogden informed the council that the village hall committee would like to refurbish the kitchen. They contacted three different companies for their advice on replacing the cupboard doors and worktops. All three suggested that the entire cupboards should be replaced. Various options were discussed, such as moving the sink and re-hanging the side door to open in the other direction. Three quotations had been received. A spreadsheet had been put together, including estimated costs for the new kitchen, a new fridge and Microwave and other necessary work such as embedding the electrical conduits and re-hanging the door. The total of these costs is in the region of 9000 plus a 10% risk factor. A new window (approximately 300) was also being considered and had not been included so far. The village hall committee are seeking approval from the parish council to draw on the reserves set aside for the village hall. Once approval has been received, the layout and design would need to be finalised. The intention is to get the work done in September.

  1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE.
    Apologies were received from Vanessa May.
  2. MINUTES OF MEETINGS held on 16th July 2013 (Already Circulated)
    1. The minutes were approved and signed by the Chairman as correct records of the meetings.
  3. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST.
    None.
  4. MATTERS OF REPORT ARISING FROM THE PREVIOUS MINUTES.
    None.
  5. NEW CLERK'S CONTRACT
    The revised new clerks’ contract was signed by the Chairman and the Clerk.
  6. DISTRICT AND COUNTY COUNCILLORS' REPORTS (by invitation)
    Cathy Bakewell reported that the Area South meeting was completely about planning. Three of these were of interest:
    1. Westfield Academy has applied for a replacement artificial pitch as their existing one was in a bad state. They also want to increase the hours of use until 9pm. There were no issues with this, as it was a like-for-like application.
    2. Preston Academy has also applied for a similar artificial pitch to be built near the Rugby pitch, also with low-level lighting. The potential site is close to residential houses. In order to get the correct elevations, the ground needs to be dug out and levelled. This would result in some houses above the pitch and some below. It was felt that not enough consideration had been given to the traffic impact on the community and so the decision has been postponed so that highways can investigate this.
    3. The residential development on Bunford Hollow. Public exhibitions had been held and there is no problem with the development in principle, but there are concerns over highways issues. The main road to the development is off the A30 past Camp Road, but before the entrance to Helena Road on the opposite side. A 30mph speed limited has been suggested. Subject to highway modifications the application has been approved.
    Gina Seaton reported that she had attended an extraordinary meeting to consider the Government inspectorate’s report on the Local Plan. Due to the issues raised, the county council have chosen to suspend the plan for 6 months in order to address the issues. This is expected to cost 355K.
  7. PLANNING & PLANNING APPLICATIONS
    1. There were no new planning applications received.
    2. There were no planning applications received since publication of the agenda
    3. It was reported that the following application has been approved: App.No.13/02310/FUL Erection of single storey side extension to be used as greenhouse at Malvernia, West Coker Hill. Applicant Mr S. Pinney.
    4. There were no other planning issues.
  8. HIGHWAYS
    1. The council discussed the Highway Department’s response to Neil Dyers letter regarding the poor quality of road repairs. SCC’s letter gave a description of the processes followed while carrying out road repairs and stated that compared with many other authorities Somerset performs well in terms of road condition surveys, and spends a lower budget. The parish council’s view was that this response was some-what complacent and it was unsatisfactory that they would not agree that this could be investigated or that improvements could be made. Neil Dyer agreed to write a response to SCC Highways to this effect.
    2. The possibility of speeding signs in the village was discussed. The majority view was that these were not very effective. It was resolved that the issue would not be followed up at the present time.
    3. Due to the recent dry weather it has been difficult to identify the cause of the problem of the water flow above Chasers’ Farm. Neil Dyer agreed to contact the Highways department to obtain information about the drainage in the area. It was agreed that the area would be inspected again once there has been more rainfall.
    4. Neil Dyer reported that the planings that SCC highways have offered to fill off-road potholes consisted of tarmac road scrapings before re-surfacing work is carried out and not just road sweepings. It was suggested that filling these off-road potholes could be added to the Rangers list of jobs. The large Lay-by past Hill End was identified as a possible site to store the planings. Neil Dyer agreed to contact the Highways department to propose this site.
    5. West Coker Parish Council has included the subject of sharing the burden of cost for one or more grit bins on Coker Hill on the agenda for their August meeting.
    6. Neil agreed to speak to Cathy Bakewell regarding the damage to the wall on North Lane, as it was mentioned she had witnessed the damage taking place and may have details of the person who caused it.
    7. The Chairman reported the highways department has been addressing the problem of water on the road opposite the Spinney. Their view was that the new drainage pipe has been built above the old one, and that it was the old one that was blocked.
    8. Malcolm White reported that they had dug the ditch that leads from this old drain, and it was planned to clear the assumed obstruction tomorrow.
  9. PARISH PLAN
    1. The Chairman reported he had received an email from Natalie Ross regarding the Housing Needs Survey. Natalie had received some details of people outside the village who would have liked to have stayed in the village had they been able to afford it. She has therefore sent them some forms and extended the deadline to 30th August. Natalie commented that the preliminary results looked positive and that she would have the full results ready for the September meeting.
    2. It was agreed that the Clerk would print-off and bind some updated Welcome Packs.
  10. COMMUNITY FIELD
    1. The council discussed whether there was still a need for a separate community field committee. A resolution was passed that this was no longer needed and therefore should be rescinded.
    2. The Chairman reported that the top soil has been delivered and spread out over the area by the tunnel. A resolution was passed to pay White Post Turf 200 + VAT (240) for the top soil.
    3. The Chairman reported that the annual Playground Inspection and Risk Assessment report has been received. The Chairman gave a brief overview of its contents. A resolution was passed to pay SSDC 92.40 (77.00 + VAT) for carrying out the inspection.
    4. The Chairman stated that he had received replacement nets for the goals. It was agreed that the Chairman would put up the new nets.
    5. Peter Bysouth has investigated the issue of obtaining an event licence for the community field. SSDC informed him that the cost of adding the field to the community licence is the same as obtaining a new licence, as all the consultations still need to be carried out and the same amount of work is required. The one-off fee would be approximately 100 as opposed to paying 30 to obtain a temporary licence for every separate occasion a licence is required. A resolution was passed for Peter Bysouth to prepare an event licence application.
  11. RISK MANAGEMENT
    1. There were no current issues.
  12. FINANCE
    1. A resolution was passed to give approval in principle to the Village Hall Kitchen refurbishment. A special meeting was scheduled for Tuesday, 27th August 2013, at 7.30 in order to further discuss the kitchen options and authorise the clerk to issue the necessary cheques.
    2. The Bank Reconciliation at 30th June was approved.
    3. The Clerk’s hours (24.25 hours) for July were approved.
    4. A resolution was passed to pay the SALC affiliation fee (148.59).
  13. FOOTPATHS
    1. The Chairman raised the subject of crops, which had been obstructing public paths in the village, specifically Y10/44 and 10/45. Although the response from landowners within the Parish Council was not very sympathetic, comment was made about people straying from the 'definitive' route when crossing fields.
  14. PARISH RANGER SCHEME
    1. The Chairman reported that an email from Stephen Fox had been received detailing the work done so far, the work yet to be done and the scheduled dates for their next visit. This information has been put into a spreadsheet and emailed to Stephen Fox in order to track the list of tasks-completed/ tasks-to-be-completed more easily. The clerk agreed to forward this spreadsheet to all members of the parish council.
  15. CORRESPONDENCE
    The following email correspondence was discussed:
    1. SSDC’s South Somerset Affordable Housing Exhibition to be held on 24th September from 3-7 pm in Chard.
    2. The Dreamscheme Network. This is an organisation to enable local children and young people to carry out fun, helpful work in their community. (eflyer forwarded to Brian to be displayed on website).
    3. Rural Fair Share Petition. It was agreed this petition should be displayed in the village shop for parishioners to sign if they wish.
    4. Empty Property Update in South Somerset. The dilapidated cottage on Rag Lane was discussed. There was concern that not only was it an eyesore, but it had been broken into several times. The Chairman agreed to contact Emma Baker, with reference to this property, to see if any further action could be taken.
  16. MATTERS OF REPORT & ITEMS FOR NEXT MEETING
    1. Chairman. Nothing to report.
    2. Councillors. Nothing to report.
    3. Clerk. Nothing to report.
  17. DATE AND TIME OF NEST MEETING & CLOSURE
    The date for next meeting will be Tuesday 17th September 2013 at 7.30 p.m. in the Village Hall. The meeting closed at 9.20 pm.